Can't boot laptop directly from pen drive

Earthling

I have a Lafite 14 laptop which I'm unable to boot to a UEFI flash drive without doing so via the Windows boot menu. The flash drive boots the Macrium Reflect rescue media so if the main SSD fails I have no way at all to restore my images and file backups to a replacement drive. If I go into BIOS and set the UEFI flash as boot drive it still boots to the Windows boot menu on the SSD and I'm unable to find an F key that helps either.

Bhuna50

Author Level
Can you post your full spec from your order page please as per the following instructions:

Earthling

Hi and thanks for the response. Here's my full spec:

Chassis & Display Lafité Series: Aluminium Chassis: 14" Matte Full HD IPS LED (1920 x
1080)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™ i7 Quad Core Processor i7-1065G7 (1.3GHz, 3.9GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM) 16GB DDR4 2666MHz SOLDERED
Graphics Card INTEL® HD GRAPHICS (CPU Dependant) - 1.7GB Max DDR4 Video RAM -
DirectX® 12
1st M.2 SSD Drive 512GB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
Memory Card Reader Integrated Micro-SD Memory Card Reader
AC Adaptor 1 x 65W AC Adaptor USB-C
Power Cable 1 x UK Power Cable
Battery 1 x Lafité Battery 50WH
Sound Card 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options 2 x USB 3.0 PORTS (Type C) + 2 x USB 3.0 PORTS
Keyboard Language LAFITÉ SERIES SINGLE COLOUR BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD
Operating System Windows 11 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KK3-00027]
Operating System Language United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media Windows 10/11 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads
from Online Account

Earthling

I now realise I have never properly understood the laptop's boot procedure and don't actually have a problem. The very first boot screen gives me the chance to use other options, one of which is to boot to a device, and my UEFI flash drive shows there and I can boot to it directly. Sorry to have misled you and thanks for your interest.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It would suggest that the Macrium USB isn't working properly as a boot device and so is skipping to the next available.

Earthling

As I said just above, the Macrium rescue does boot ok but it is rather slow to do so, so perhaps the BIOS just gives up and moves on.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Not quite sure what you are describing.

It boots OK but it doesn't boot OK?

What are the circumstances where it boots OK? You mentioned Windows boot menu, how are you accessing this?

Are you sure that it's a UEFI partition on the USB and not a normal boot partition? You may be asking the BIOS to boot a standard that isn't configured on the USB. Most BIOS give the option of USB UEFI and non-UEFI.

Earthling

Hi Scott, let me try to clarify. In order to be able to restore an earlier version of their Windows system, users of Macrium Reflect need to create rescue media, either on a bootable CD or bootable USB. They also have an option to add a bootable version of the program to the Windows boot menu. For me the latter works just fine, allowing me at boot to find and restore an earlier image of my Windows system, completely overwriting the current system. However the Windows boot menu is held on the boot disk so I wanted to prove for myself that I would be able to restore an image in the event the system failed at boot for any reason. The obvious answer was to boot directly to the USB rescue media, but when I set the BIOS to do just that it failed and booted straight to the SSD. What I had failed to realise was that the first boot screen after power on also had an 'other options' choice, one of those being to boot to a different device, and there I had the choice to boot to my plugged in USB, which worked just fine.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Sounds good. My guess is that the USB isn't UEFI, hence coming under Others. Good to have a solution though.

I was going to suggest that if you want to thoroughly test the scenario you could simply unplug your boot drive. That way if it boots from the USB you know it will do so in a crisis.