Can't boot up. VGA led is on.

Dart

Hi there,

I ordered my desktop last year and it has been running fine since. However I have just moved from the UK to Taiwan and brought my desktop here. On powering up, the fan on my video card runs at full speed, sounding like a jet engine and the red VGA led light comes on. Nothing appears on the monitor and there is no POST beep. I think the problem lies with my video card, but i'm still unsure.
Is it also possible that I have damaged it with the different mains electricity here?

CPU: i7 2600k (3.4GHz)
Motherboard : Asus P8P67 Deluxe
RAM : 16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (4 x 4GB KIT)
Graphics : 2GB AMD Radeon 6970

Would really appreciate the help. Thanks.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Hi there,

I ordered my desktop last year and it has been running fine since. However I have just moved from the UK to Taiwan and brought my desktop here. On powering up, the fan on my video card runs at full speed, sounding like a jet engine and the red VGA led light comes on. Nothing appears on the monitor and there is no POST beep. I think the problem lies with my video card, but i'm still unsure.
Is it also possible that I have damaged it with the different mains electricity here?

Can you try turning your pc on without the GPU?

Dart

Yeah. I've tried running it without the graphics card. I don't think the motherboard has onboard graphics. Apart from one long beep follows by 3 short ones, the same exact thing happens, without the fans going crazy on the GPU (because there isn't one of course). VGA light is still on. I think the beeps mean that no vga is detected, but I don't have the manual here.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Yeah. I've tried running it without the graphics card. I don't think the motherboard has onboard graphics. Apart from one long beep follows by 3 short ones, the same exact thing happens, without the fans going crazy on the GPU (because there isn't one of course). VGA light is still on. I think the beeps mean that no vga is detected, but I don't have the manual here.

Well, you could try getting a GPU to see if that is the cause of the problem. Do you still have the instruction manual for your motherboard? The beeps could be indicated in there. Since you are in Taiwan it would be pretty difficult to get much help from PCS.

Dart

Unfortunately had to leave the manual at home. I've looked it up online though and apparently the beeps mean "no VGA detected". I don't have a spare GPU around either. Today has not been a good day for me. I really don't know what to do and I really don't want to have to purchase a new GPU.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Unfortunately had to leave the manual at home. I've looked it up online though and apparently the beeps mean "no VGA detected". I don't have a spare GPU around either. Today has not been a good day for me. I really don't know what to do and I really don't want to have to purchase a new GPU.

Sorry to hear that, I'd, though, try to get a replacement. Sending the GPU for RMA from there to the UK and then back to Taiwan would probably take weeks and you also need to consider the shipping cost.

Dart

Yeah. It would take forever. And I thought that I would be able to get some work done over here by bringing it over too. Seems like it was just a big waste instead. I guess I could look for a new GPU whilst I'm over here.
I was hoping it would last me over a year. :(

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Yeah. It would take forever. And I thought that I would be able to get some work done over here by bringing it over too. Seems like it was just a big waste instead. I guess I could look for a new GPU whilst I'm over here.
I was hoping it would last me over a year. :(

Some components would just stop working after 1 days, a month or a year. It is just bad luck, bright side pretty sure you can get awesome deals in Taiwan :)

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Hi there,

The supply in Taiwan is 110-120 Volts,so you would need a 220-240V step-up transformer with a high enough wattage (v/a) for the PC to work.
I would advise you seek some advice over there before doing this.
You may already have damaged one component or another as the low voltage would cause higher current.

Last edited:

Dart

That is true. I guess I can find some good deals here.
Can you recommend any good cards for a digital artist who works primarily in 3D? :)

Dart

Thanks vanthus. I think you may be right. I managed to find an old video card and it seems to work with that, but I fear that I may have already damaged my old card. I will leave it unplugged for now in case I do any further damage and look into buying a step-up transformer, however I doubt the 6970 will work again.
I should have asked for advice before doing this. :(

Thanks

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
On further research,it might be possible the PSU has an automatic voltage selector,
some PSU's have a manual voltage switch selector,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_supply_unit_(computer)
soo,as I said,maybe best seeking advice from a local electrician or computer technician or something like that before going any further.
Edit: sorry,forgot the most obvious,contact PCS.

Last edited: