Can't get DVD drive open when empty

memerson

Hey everyone

Just recently purchased an Optimus VII gaming laptop but I can't seem to get the DVD drive to open. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but I'm pushing what seems to be the right button which would normally cause it to pop out but nothing is happening. There's a small hole which I imagine is the emergency eject, but surely I shouldn't need to to use that every time I need to eject? Just to clarify, I'm talking about ejecting from empty, in order to put a disc in.

If anyone can help I'd appreciate it. Don't really want to take a knife to it lol.

Michael

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Hey Michael,

Do you have a option to eject on the My Computer Screen if you right click and press eject? Just to rule out if its a faulty eject button or not.

Does it open ok if there is a disk in the drive?

memerson

Hey Michael,

Do you have a option to eject on the My Computer Screen if you right click and press eject? Just to rule out if its a faulty eject button or not.

Does it open ok if there is a disk in the drive?

Not sure what the My Computer screen is? I'm using Windows 10. I can't get it open to get a disc in, which is the problem. I have not been able to open it since I bought the laptop. I tried looking in Device Manager but I can't really see what it could be, plus I've heard that sometimes the DVD drive can go missing in Device Manager?

I've attached a screenshot of my Device Manager if it helps.

Michael

device-manager.PNG

Rakk

The Awesome
Not sure what the My Computer screen is? I'm using Windows 10.
You need to open your file explorer window, and it will list all the drives and the folder structure on your PC - to open file explorer either press the Windows Key and the E key at the same time or from the start menu select 'File Explorer'
It should look something like this (I had to scroll quite a long way down on mine):
FileExplorer.png
And on mine the DVD drive is where the red arrow is pointing, from there I can right-click to eject my DVD drive, if you could check to see if you have the CD/DVD drive listed there and if so, see if you can right-click and select eject and see what happens.

Attachments

• FileExplorer.png
    FileExplorer.png
    66.6 KB · Views: 223

memerson

You need to open your file explorer window, and it will list all the drives and the folder structure on your PC - to open file explorer either press the Windows Key and the E key at the same time or from the start menu select 'File Explorer'
It should look something like this (I had to scroll quite a long way down on mine):
View attachment 8234
And on mine the DVD drive is where the red arrow is pointing, from there I can right-click to eject my DVD drive, if you could check to see if you have the CD/DVD drive listed there and if so, see if you can right-click and select eject and see what happens.

Hm, no I only have Windows drive (C:) and my Storage drive (D:). Would it only show if there was a disc in it? If that's the case, then I'm still stuck as it won't open. Do I need to install some kind of driver in order for the PC to recognise the drive slot?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
This is my (Windows 10) Device Manager, I have an entry for the DVD/DD-ROM drives which you don't. That suggests there is a hardware issue with the DVD drive.

I would give PCS a call.

dogbot

Bright Spark
On my Vortex iii, the DVD drive is listed in Device Manager. It is no shown (when empty) in the left panel of Windows explorer but is shown in the right panel when 'This PC' is selected under 'Devices and Drives'.

dvd drive.jpg

Rakk

The Awesome
On my Vortex iii, the DVD drive is listed in Device Manager. It is no shown (when empty) in the left panel of Windows explorer but is shown in the right panel when 'This PC' is selected under 'Devices and Drives'.
I guess it depends as to whether the drive is shown in FileExplorer under 'This PC' on various settings etc, because the picture I took was when my drive was empty (I doubled-checked it), but then mine is a desktop rather a laptop so maybe that's where the difference is.
However as Ubuysa said since it isn't even shown in the device manager, it is not being recognised at all by the machine so a call to PCS would be a good plan.

To the OP, the silly question has to be asked: you did order it with a CD/DVD drive didn't you, you didn't just order it with a caddy in place of the optical drive?

Sling23

Banned
Hi memerson,

Thank you for getting in contact with us, it is very difficult without having access to your actual spec list or order to confirm this 100%.

However if you have two hard drives in that chassis you will most likely not have a DVD drive installed, the Optimus chassis only has two SATA ports in the system, this means if both of your hard drives are SATA drives you will have removed your DVD drive from the system like Rakk said this would have been replaced with a caddy to fit your second hard drive. If you can PM me your specs, order number or email address used when you ordered the system I will be able to clarify this for you.

Many Thanks

Sling23