Cant get my ethernet port to work on a new laptop

Vytaras

Hi everyone,

So I received my new laptop from PCs couple weeks ago and seems i am having a problem with ethernet cable not working.

My laptops configuration:

Chassis & Display
Optimus Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4700MQ (2.40GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 765M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Wireless/Wired Networking
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N135 802.11N (150Mbps) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Battery
Optimus Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Power Cable
1 x European Power Lead & 120W AC Adaptor
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Keyboard Language
OPTIMUS SERIES UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Intel Anti-Theft Technology
FREE 90 Day Intel Anti-Theft Trial - Prevent Data Access upon Theft
Delivery
3 DAY DELIVERY TO LITHUANIA
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 7 to 9 working days
Quantity

First of all, the drivers CD i got from PCs apparently is not working with my OS(W7 ultimate edition 64bit) and i have no idea why... I am getting this error when i try to install it from cd's autorun:

driver error.jpg

So i had to manually browse and install most of the drivers from CD

The problem is that when i try to install LAN drivers from CD or even the newest version(that i found on official Clevo website) it almost fully installs it then i get the error:
error.jpg

I press OK it loads a bit more and then finishes the installation.

So i tried one more installation method that i knew, i went through device manager pressed the update driver and chose to browse my PC and chose the drivers but after the installation i get Code 39 error:

ssssss.jpg

After that i pressed to update the drivers automatically and windows detected that i have newest drivers.

I have no idea what else should i do and how to get my LAN working i really need it because in university in some classes there are no WiFi connection and only LAN cables which apparently are not working for me :/ when i connect the cable nothing happens...

EDIT: so after the installation i get this:

New Bitmap Image.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreaciated :) :)

Last edited:

Gazza

Bronze Level Poster
Go to Realtek site, and download the latest driver Win7 32/64 Auto Installation Program (SID:1428413), 4860k.
Disconnect the ethernet cable.
Go to Programs and features, and uninstal the Realtec PCI fast Ethernet Controller.
Restart the system, and run the Setup with the file you downloaded from the Realtek site.

Connect the ethernet cable-now Windows will recognize the new device, and will install the appropriate software for it.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The common thread in all those errors you are getting is a corrupted driver. So I'd do what Gazza suggests, get a good driver from a reliable source, fully uninstall the old driver, reboot, and then install the good driver.

Vytaras

Thanks for your help but apparently this didn't help. The installation although this time finished without an error but in device manager nothing updated it just writes "Ethernet Controller" i tried in device manager selecting the folder of the newly downloaded drivers but windows did not detect the drivers from that folder... Any ideas?

EDIT: So I was playing some more with the device manager i pressed update, chose "browse my computer for driver software" then chose "let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer", navigated to the folder i installed it let me choose only 1 file from all of that folder and it added to the list "(Mobile ASSIST) Realtek RTL8139/810x Family fast Ethernet NIC." Everything would seem fine but i get the error code 10(The device cannot start. :(

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks for your help but apparently this didn't help. The installation although this time finished without an error but in device manager nothing updated it just writes "Ethernet Controller" i tried in device manager selecting the folder of the newly downloaded drivers but windows did not detect the drivers from that folder... Any ideas?

EDIT: So I was playing some more with the device manager i pressed update, chose "browse my computer for driver software" then chose "let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer", navigated to the folder i installed it let me choose only 1 file from all of that folder and it added to the list "(Mobile ASSIST) Realtek RTL8139/810x Family fast Ethernet NIC." Everything would seem fine but i get the error code 10(The device cannot start. :(

I think now is the time to call PCS, you may have a faulty card (I think it's on-board).

Vytaras

well i wont survive a week without a laptop in university.(surviving without ethernet is possible on the other hand :) ) So sending the laptop from Lithuania to UK is not an option for me... Ill try reading more on google and see maybe its still not that bad.

Vytaras

well i wont survive a week without a laptop in university.(surviving without ethernet is possible on the other hand :) ) So sending the laptop from Lithuania to UK is not an option for me... Ill try reading more on google and see maybe its still not that bad.

EDIT: YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! FINALLY I GOT IT WORKED. It seems that you gave me wrong link i downloaded from realtek but i chose drivers from here: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...d=7&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Network Interface Controllers > 10/100M Fast Ethernet > PCI Express > Software

I downloaded this:
Win7 and WinServer 2008 R2 Auto Installation Program (SID:1594878)
7.073 2013/8/1 5951k

and it is working. Yay thank you all for your help

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I guess you could open the laptop up and check that all cables and connectors are correctly attached. The driver clearly doesn't install properly, this could be because of a hardware problem as I said, but it might also be a Windows problem. Since it's difficult for you to ship the laptop back I would suggest you do a clean re-install of Windows and the appropriate drivers. You can download them from the Clevo website here, you'll need the Clevo model number of your laptop - it's on a label on the bottom.

When installing Windows choose a Custom Install, delete all the existing partitions so the whole disk shows as unallocated, then create a single partition the size of the whole disk (Windows will probably create a second, very small partition as well, this is perfectly normal). Install Windows into the large partition that you just created. This will give you the cleanest install of Windows possible.

When installing the drivers it's generally best to install the chipset driver first, the VGA driver before the NVIDIA driver and the Ethernet driver before the WLAN driver. If you can't get an Ethernet connection after a clean re-install then it's most probably a hardware issue I'm afraid.

Edit: Cross-posted with your latest edit. Glad it's sorted. :)