Can't reinstall OS after HDD erase.

thegreb

Bronze Level Poster
Yesterday I used Ccleaner to erase my old laptops hard drive, as I plan to sell it on and didn't want to leave any personal data on it. I was planning on reinstalling Windows 7 on the laptop, but every time I turn the laptop on I'm met with a screen saying "BOOTMGR is missing Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart" . I can access the BIOS, and have changed the boot order so it boots from the DVD drive first, but it still shows the BOOTMGR is missing screen. Anyone know what I can do to fix this problem?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
If it's showing that message it's because it's polling through to the stage where it's trying to boot windows so missing the dvd boot. When it gets to the dvd boot it will prompt you to press a key to boot from the disk, are you seeing that? If not, I'd find the shortcut for the quick boot menu and select dvd from that.

thegreb

Bronze Level Poster
I'm not seeing that. I've changed the boot order in the BIOS so the DVD drive is first, but I still get the same BOOTMGR is missing message.

thegreb

Bronze Level Poster
I found a way to put the Windows Installer on a flash drive using Windows USB/DVD Download Tool, and I've installed Windows 7 on the laptop. It's now working perfectly.

mrducking

Bright Spark
in my opinion it's always easier and faster to use usb drives instead of cds for installing windows, cds are almost dead to me: usb can do it better and smaller

thegreb

Bronze Level Poster
Well, now I have another problem. I can't get my old laptop to read DVDs. The laptop recognises the drive, and the device status says This device is working properly. I know it isn't though, and there's nothing I can do about it. I've tried updating the drivers, but they're already up to date. I've tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it, but it still doesn't work. I've also run Microsoft Fix It on the laptop, but that couldn't find a solution.
ve

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I think you may have a hardware issue with your DVD drive. It wouldn't boot from the DVD drive either. If you've not made any hardware changes and it was working before it might just need the lens cleaning.

I think the fact that it wouldn't boot shows it's not a Windows or driver problem.

thegreb

Bronze Level Poster
Fixed it! The lens just needed a clean, and the area around it needed a blow out to get the dust out of it. The drive works perfectly now.

thegreb

Bronze Level Poster
OK, the drive read one DVD and let me access it. Now it's gone back to how it was before, now able to read a disk. I tried cleaning the drive again, but it didn't work this time.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Fixed it! The lens just needed a clean, and the area around it needed a blow out to get the dust out of it. The drive works perfectly now.

Make sure the inside of the drive is spotless, the tiniest bit of dust will foul the mechanism. You probably also want to get some proper CD/DVD lens cleaning solution and make sure the lens is spotless too. Audio CDs will tolerate many more read errors than will a DVD, that's probably why you can play audio CDs - you just can't hear the dropped bits.

I think it's pretty obviously something amiss with that drive, if there was dust inside it (as you seem to say?) then I'm not that surprised you're having problems.

Pagey

Bright Spark
Ahhh, optical drive troubleshooting, I LOVE it! XD

Firstly check that the DVD you are trying to read isn't scratched to hell.

Test the DVD in another drive you know that works.

Next as Ubuysa suggests; clean the Optical Pickup Unit, preferably with compressed air, but go careful, those OPU's can be damaged easily if you use too much pressure. I would actually advise against using optical drive cleaning kits, they do more harm than good by producing a LOT of static electricity that causes more dust to stick to the lens like a magnet.

One thing to note: the laser diode in OPU's do burn out after time and the first thing that WILL suffer will be DVD reading, CD's will appear to read fine.

If the DVD you are trying to read is fine, then you're probably better off getting a new optical drive.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I would actually advise against using optical drive cleaning kits, they do more harm than good by producing a LOT of static electricity that causes more dust to stick to the lens like a magnet.

I stand corrected. :)