Can't see any files on 2nd hdd

sakumatu

Bronze Level Poster
Hi there,
I think I had a virus in my laptop. All the suddenly little notices started to pop up saying that failing to copy or something and that harddrive is failing. Then some sort of scanning started which ended with suggestion of buying the programme. I was thinking that my SSD is backed up now. I managed to restore the system and scanned for malware and viruses. Found a Trojan and Avira AV found something as well and removed it. But now I cannot access any files on my secondary hard drive. Everywhere I looked shows that device is working and everything is fine. It even shows how much free space I got there, but I cannot see any of the files. Any idea why? Never had any problems with viruses when I was on XP and now this.

Thanks in advance.

Xoil

Theres a high chance the virus has just hidden the files from you, Go into safe mode and see if you can see those files. Safe Mode is the only way to properly see what a pc looks like free of viruses. It loads only the essential systems to run windows. I high recommend you download Malware Bytes Anti-Malware: http://www.malwarebytes.org/, Its one of the best for scanning deep into the system, disconnect from the internet once updated and scanning, stops malware connecting to its base. Try posting on the MBAM forums under the correct section, experts will diagnose your problem and fix it for you.

sakumatu

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks for quick reply. I'll try safemode.
I got Malwrebytes, Avira and Zonealarm for firewall.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
This Is a shot In the dark,but worth a try,
click on tools/folder options/view,
select "show hidden files,folders,and drives"

sakumatu

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks, I knew it was something simple. Still getting used to to win7, seems so different after years been on xp.

sakumatu

Bronze Level Poster
Yes, simple solution from vanthus helped me out.

Thanks again.

Stars been clicked on both.:)

PokerFace

Banned
But his 'normal' files should be visible without selecting 'show hidden files' shouldn't they? So there's still something not quite right wouldn't you say?

Well done anyway vanthus (as usual ;)), at least he can see his files now.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
But his 'normal' files should be visible without selecting 'show hidden files' shouldn't they? So there's still something not quite right wouldn't you say?

Well done anyway vanthus (as usual ;)), at least he can see his files now.
Yes,I agree,but a virus can cause some strange alterations with basic settings,
which could still be there after the virus has been dealt with.
Thats my theory anyway :)

Last edited:
We see this virus a lot. It trys to get you to purchase a "fix my drive" application.

Malwarebytes seems to be the only one that ousts this one. I can confirm that your drive is not failing should you see this. Windows messages are a lot more subtle and do not scan your drive (exc chkdsk I suppose)