Can't see my CD Rom Drive when I insert Disc

shaks109

So I was about to install Napoleon Total War on my Optimus III (3) Laptop and when I insert the disc, it doesn't appear on 'My Computer' :'(

I've had this problem before with my other computer but I have forgotten what the problem is.

Please Help! :)

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Try deleting the UpperFilters\LowerFilters registry entry
Start Registry Editor Click Start, type regedit in the quick search, and then click the regedit icon in the search results. Registry Editor starts.
1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
2. Expand SYSTEM
3. Expand ControlSet001
4. Expand Control
5. Expand Class
6. Search for the key {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and left click on it, bringing the values up on the right
In the right hand pane (topic area), you may have Upperfilters, Lowerfilters or both, click UpperFilters if you have it, and delete it, if you have LowerFilters as well, delete this also. If you only have one of the two, just delete that one, don't worry about the one that isn't there.

LiddleP

Bronze Level Poster
If you normally send your computer to sleep or are resuming from hibernation, a quick reboot might well be worthwhile before you do anything else.

Pagey

Bright Spark
You didn't tell us if the drive was spinning up or not? If it sounds like the drive is physically having problems, then the first port of call is to give the drive a quick blast with a low power air compressor.