Can't seem to force GSync / Greyed out Adaptaive-Sync/FreeSync option - ASUS

OJLloyd

Bronze Level Poster
Good Evening All,

A while ago I was very kindly helped by Oussebon with pricing up a new system. Good news is: I bought it and it runs for the most part an absolute dream.

However, after googling today I realised that I should probably be using G Sync, and I found that although my Monitor (Asus VP28U) isn't on the 'supported' list, that it should be able to be used, given that it's a DP Port 4k Monitor. However, I can't seem to get it working. I've tried a DDU fresh install, and all of the 'fixes' I can find online and nothing has worked.

I have noticed, today, that I cannot turn on the Adaptive-Sync/Free Sync option on my Monitor's menu though, and apparently that is needed for me to have the 'Setup G Sync' option on my Geforce Control Panel.

Would anyone be able to shed some light for me? Specs below:

Case
FRACTAL MESHIFY C BLACK GAMING CASE (Window)
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core CPU (3.6GHz-4.2GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF X470-PLUS GAMING (DDR4, 6Gb/s, CrossFireX) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 Ti - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!
Monitor:
Asus vp28u -
1st Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
512GB ADATA SX6000 Pro PCIe M.2 2280 (2100 MB/R, 1500 MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
NOT REQUIRED
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

I appreciate the help in advance, thanks a lot.

Oliver

OJLloyd

Bronze Level Poster
I'm not personally familiar with the monitor so have no idea what the OSD looks like.

Can you enable variable refresh rate as in this?

And I assume it's plugged in by DP, not HDMI?

Is it the only monitor connected to the system?

Well, I managed to fix it.Basically, I had to swap it from DP 1.1 to DP 1.2 in the Asus Monitor options.. and now everything is working. I've enabled it now.

What a confusing thing that is.

Thanks for the reply mate, although the link didn't help it was a catalyst for me searching more :D

OJLloyd

Bronze Level Poster
Test with Pendulum to see how well the adaptive sync works 🙂

Hey,

so I got Penduum and gave it a go. If I choose the 'G Sync' option on it, there's quite a lot of tear even when the FPS seems fixed to 60/61, whereas Vsync is completely smooth at 60/61.

I'm not entirely sure what that means :)

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I'm assuming that adaptive sync is now enabled on the monitor and gsync compatible is enabled in Nvidia control panel, for both windowed and fullscreen apps.
GSC1.png

And under Change Resolution it's set to 4k res and 60hz refresh?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
And in Pendulum, try different framerates, which you can set manually with the FPS sliders and/or use the "simulate 40-60" preset.

It's it's smooth at ~50-57fps with no stutter and no tearing, then starts tearing when it gets to 60, enabling vsync in the Nvidia control panel or using something like Rivatuner Statistics Server to limit FPS to a few fps below the max refresh rate may be needed.

Or using "Fast" vsync in Nvidia control panel rather than full vsync

I have a 75hz monitor and can get tearing or stutter if FPS goes above 72, so have it capped to that.

OJLloyd

Bronze Level Poster
And in Pendulum, try different framerates, which you can set manually with the FPS sliders and/or use the "simulate 40-60" preset.

It's it's smooth at ~50-57fps with no stutter and no tearing, then starts tearing when it gets to 60, enabling vsync in the Nvidia control panel or using something like Rivatuner Statistics Server to limit FPS to a few fps below the max refresh rate may be needed.

I have a 75hz monitor and can get tearing or stutter if FPS goes above 72, so have it capped to that.

Hey mate,

so yep, adaptive enabled, and gsync is on. Both windowed and fullscreen

The res thing::

1566511992743.png

as you can see there,the 4k option only lets me choose 30hz refresh.

Whereas below:

1566512029534.png

I can choose 60hz there, but it doesn't say '4k' as such.

re: frame rates, my monitor is most stable (no stutter/tear) at 60/61, anything below it's not a big fan of.

OJLloyd

Bronze Level Poster

Just following on from this.

I've managed to get all the RTX stuff working in most games and I've got gsync enabled now, but I wanted to ask a general question to you Ouss, if that's alright.

I'm struggling to get 60fps stable on Metro:Exodus (just an example modern title), and I was wondering if you could me know why this is the case? is it surely not to be assumed that my system should run that title in 4k on ultra/full settings? Or are my expectations just too high of what can be done?

If my system can't run it, but others can, what is it about mine that is stopping it performing to that level?

Could it also be a Monitor issue, as I appreciate my monitor is not exactly' best on market'?

Any help is appreciated, no rush :)

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
if you have gsync on and it's working, not being at 60fps all the time shouldn't be a problem - that's rather the point of gsync.

Sudden, large drops e.g. drop 60fps down to 40fps, you're going to notice. But if you were getting ~50-ish FPS and gsync was on, it should still be very smooth.

As for 60fps stable, you turned RTX on. You're not going to get close to 60fps with RTX on.

Even without RTX on, depending where you are in the game, performance will drop below 60fps at 4k ultra with a 2080 ti:

2160.png
rtx-2160.png

2019-02-15-image-3.png

Metro Exodus 4K Extreme Quality Performance

missing-image.svg

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
If you want to test your PC's performance more generally, run Firestrike. Though switch off gsync temporarily as that lowers the score.

What did you need to do to get gsync working?

OJLloyd

Bronze Level Poster
If you want to test your PC's performance more generally, run Firestrike. Though switch off gsync temporarily as that lowers the score.

What did you need to do to get gsync working?

Hey Oussebon,

Thanks as always for the response and help, I appreciate it. I used to be so, so clued up about PCs but it looks like over the last decade I've lost all idea about them. It's good to see that I'm basically scoring in the right areas. I didn't realise the impact Raytrace had on fps, but it's good to know. Am I right in saying it generally makes sense to have DLSS enabled too when Raytracing is on?

In terms of Firestrike: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/38937009?

My score is there, does that look alright?

To get Gsync enabled, I had to change to dp 1.2 in the monitor options and then enable Adaptive Sync, then it was easy to enable. I'm not 100% sure that it's working, but it's definitely turned on..

OJLloyd

Bronze Level Poster
Scratch that, g-sync is definitely working. Just tested Remnant: From the ashes, with and without and it's obvious it's working.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Am I right in saying it generally makes sense to have DLSS enabled too when Raytracing is on?
Nvidia certainly think so and seem to have launched the two very much as hand in hand.

Depending on the game, you can take a fidelity hit with DLSS. It may or may not bother you. I didn't read those articles I posted in any detail, but I think one of them was saying that in their opinion it looked less bad to outright play below native res than to use DLSS (which is also playing below native res).

It's your gaming experience so just go with the settings that give you the blend of performance vs fidelity you find most appealing. Or that you find tolerable enough such that you don't feel like wasting any more time on settings versus getting stuck into the game :D

Good to know it was essentially just the DP thing that was inhibiting you using gsync on that monitor. Glad it didn't involve any further faff!