Can't wait for new laptop

mev

Bronze Level Poster
Used to using current laptop Toshiba i3 model, so can't wait for my new lappy. :yes:

EDIT: changed my order to a different chassis + upgraded drives.

Chassis & Display
Genesis III: 15.6" Glossy HD LED 16:9 Widescreen (1366x768)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5 Dual Core Mobile Processor i5-2450M (2.50GHz) 3MB
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
nVIDIA® GeForce® GT 630M - 1GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
120GB INTEL® 520 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk
500GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD5000BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
2nd HDD HARD DRIVE OPTICAL BAY CADDY
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N130 802.11N (150Mbps) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options
3 x USB 2.0 (UMA) OR 2 x USB 3.0 & 1 x USB 2.0 PORTS (GT 630M)
Battery
Genesis Series 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (48.84WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 65W AC Adaptor
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Keyboard & Mouse
INTEGRATED UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 1.3 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)

Price: £723.00 including VAT and delivery.

Last edited:

mev

Bronze Level Poster
I changed my order on friday to a new chassis so it was a new order in effect, order went through on Fri @ 12:24, at 12:00 today Mon it was marked as dispatched and all I can say is WoW very fast run around. :rockon:

mev

Bronze Level Poster
Update:

Laptop was delivered this morning @ 9:45

Got my OS installed and very happy with it, I''ve not installed + tested with any software yet but generally it works as good + fast as my i5 2500k desktop. It's a very nice looking laptop too.

I have one little problem which i'll be calling PCS tech about and that's to do with drives installed. I have the caddy for a 2nd hdd and opted for a 120gb ssd + 500gb hdd, well I think the hdd is installed in the chassis + the ssd in the caddy, well i'm guessing so because they show this way on the ports in disk management. If this is the case then surely they should be installed the other way around as you'd want the ssd for your OS and when installing the OS the system automatically makes a partition for system reserved files on whatever drive is installed on port 0 which in my case is the HDD storage drive and not the SSD.
2 problems i can see with this is.. 1st that the partition is on a separate drive from OS which is the slower drive and 2nd is if in the future I decide to upgrade my storage drive then removing the current one would mean removing the partition with system reserved files on it.

As I said i'm not 100% sure about this without actually removing the caddy/casing so will be calling the tech guys.

Last edited:

mev

Bronze Level Poster
Update:

It was as I suspected but after a quick phone call to PCS to make sure I wouldn't void the warranty I swapped the drives around then formatted + re-installed OS.
So all good now and really happy with the laptop so far :rockon:

I'll take a few pics and maybe some benchmarks etc later today.