Cap a 144Hz monitor to 60Hz

Faster

Hi everybody and thanks in advance.
I have two monitors. My laptop has a 144Hz monitor and my second external monitor is a 60Hz monitor. I don't mean when I play games, but just for general usage, I would like to cap my laptop monitor to 60Hz (the same as the secondary) because work with two different frame rates give me some dizziness or similar sometimes. I can't change the framerate from the control panel, is locked to 144Hz. On Linux I can change that, so I was wondering if it is also possible on Windows, my primary OS system.

Thanks

TomBerry

Bright Spark
Hi everybody and thanks in advance.
I have two monitors. My laptop has a 144Hz monitor and my second external monitor is a 60Hz monitor. I don't mean when I play games, but just for general usage, I would like to cap my laptop monitor to 60Hz (the same as the secondary) because work with two different frame rates give me some dizziness or similar sometimes. I can't change the framerate from the control panel, is locked to 144Hz. On Linux I can change that, so I was wondering if it is also possible on Windows, my primary OS system.

Thanks
Right click on the desktop, Display settings, scroll down on that page to Advanced display settings, then Display adaptor properties for display 1, click on the Monitor tab and change the screen refresh rate to 60Hz :)

Faster

Yes exactly, but I can't change that, I can select only 144Hz. I have a Proteus VII if that can help

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-06-04 075403.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-04 075403.png
    16 KB · Views: 200

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
How are you connected to the monitor? Which output are you using? Are you using any converters/hubs?

If you go into "Properties" you should be able to add refresh rates or create custom ones.

Faster

I'm talking about the built-in monitor, not the external one. I can change the refresh rate in my secondary monitor from 50Hz to 60Hz but I can't change it for the laptop monitor, the built-in one. I was wondering if there was a trick or something

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Ahh, you will likely do that through the Nvidia control panel rather than the standard display panel.

Faster

I didn't check that, I was always thinking those were just Nvidia graphic settings, I'll have a look now

Faster

No nothing, Nvidia control panel just detect the two monitors as one, I think on laptops graphic cards have separate jobs for unique monitors. Integrated just for built-in monitor and discrete just for secondary, it makes sense

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
No nothing, Nvidia control panel just detect the two monitors as one, I think on laptops graphic cards have separate jobs for unique monitors. Integrated just for built-in monitor and discrete just for secondary, it makes sense
There may be a workaround to change the driver from generic pnp to another. Try following fix 1 in this article:

Faster

No, still nothing. On Intel website there is an update about the Intel graphic card but It warns me about installing generic intel drivers over "the customizations made by your computer manufacturer" (the driver I already have). It's just a generic warning and I can proceed with the installation of the new ones?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
No, still nothing. On Intel website there is an update about the Intel graphic card but It warns me about installing generic intel drivers over "the customizations made by your computer manufacturer" (the driver I already have). It's just a generic warning and I can proceed with the installation of the new ones?
Yeah, give it a go. You currently don’t have a driver installed. Generic pnp is just a generic driver to do basic output to any screen, pnp being plug and play

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Check if your Intel panel has "Custom Resolutions" under the Display tab. If it does, you can configure it there. If it doesn't, see if the program is there...

C:\Windows\System32\CustomModeApp.exe

Should be able to set the resolution to standard with the refresh rate set to whatever you want.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Check if your Intel panel has "Custom Resolutions" under the Display tab. If it does, you can configure it there. If it doesn't, see if the program is there...

Should be able to set the resolution to standard with the refresh rate set to whatever you want.
Now that’s a handy bit of info 👍🏼

Faster

Hi thx. Well I have the button "custom" but then i get a pop up saying "Custom resolution is not supported on internal display" and i don't have any customModeApp in System32 :cry:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-06-04 163758.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-04 163758.png
    175.4 KB · Views: 165

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Well that sucks :(

Is it a dual setup with Integrated Intel & Dedicated Nvidia?

Just thinking that you could force use the Nvidia. Would eat more battery when off charge but would be fine otherwise.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
After that you're onto a custom refresh utility (CRU, not sure if that's what it stands for or not). I used it years ago and it wasn't very user friendly but it did what it says on the tin.

Faster

Well that sucks :(

Is it a dual setup with Integrated Intel & Dedicated Nvidia?

Just thinking that you could force use the Nvidia. Would eat more battery when off charge but would be fine otherwise.
I guess so, I have a Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor 10875H and a Nvidia 2060 and I think they work separately because when I use the secondary monitor the internal graphic processor doesn't show any work load, just the Nvidia (this in Task Manager). When I use just the laptop monitor, without any external one, just the internal intel graphic shows work load. In this moment that I have the Extended option when I move something in the laptop monitor the task manager shows me some work load by the intel graphic but if I just use my secondary one, nothing, it is on 0%. If there is a way I don't care about the battery, I never use it without the charger. Thx again

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I think you can disable it through the device manager and through the BIOS also.

I would hold off for someone else to comment though as it's a while since I had a laptop that used integrated & discrete.

You may need to have the monitor connected to the laptop to bring the laptop screen back on through the dGPU.... I honestly can't remember.

I do know what you are looking for can be done though.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Something has just popped into my head. There may be an option for this in the Nvidia Control panel. Select for the discrete GPU to always be used in favour of the internal one?

Have a little nosey there before disabling it in the Device Manager.