Case change

Martyman

OK guys - looking for some advice ...

PCS have told me that I should probably change my case (Define 7), as they have no idea when they will be getting stock. So, hoping that I can go straight into build when my 3060ti shows up, I'm looking at the options.

MY current spec is listed below. I will be air-cooling, with the Noctua NH-U14S, so just need to ensure I have enough cooling for a 3060ti/5600x combo.

I was thinking about swapping to the Corsair 5000D or the Meshify C, but I notice many have opted for the Lancool 215 and the iCue 5000x.

If I opt for the 5000D should I add an extra fan at the front? If so, how do I request this, as the selections only state "configured to extract from rear/roof"?

I'm actually leaning towards the Meshify C, but just wondering if there will be any issues with space - GPU and Noctua fan?

Is the Lancool the best option, with the two large fans at the front. It's a smaller case so will take up less space on the desk. But will this impact cooling?

I also notice the iCue5000x comes with 3 fans. I assume that's the three RGB fans at the front - so if Iwent with that, I would have to order a rear fan, yeah?

Case
FRACTAL DEFINE 7 BLACK QUIET MID-TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Six Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.6GHz/35MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3060 Ti - HDMI, DP
1st Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 6900MB/R, 5000MB/W)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

Last edited:

Martyman

I have to change my case for a second time, due to my previous choices being out of stock. So I am opting for the Corsair 5000D. The only snag is that it comes with only two fans - one front and one rear. I'd like to add more fans to the front, but I can't see the way to specify that.

The standard PCS fans in the drop-down state that they will be configured for the back or rear. If I order the 2x 120mm Thermaltake TOUGHFAN set, how do I specify that I want them installed as front intake fans - and hopefully in the bottom 2 mounts?

It does seem like a good case, but Corsair do seem to have cheaped out on the fans :confused:

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
The Lian Li 215 is a budget case, especially for the price PCS has it for. With 3 included fans (there's one at the rear) and a mesh front it's got great cooling for a low price and should be all a budget build needs

The 4/5000D Airflow is a great case with fantastic airflow. As you've mentioned he fan situation sucks and it does need a couple of extra fans to make it a good case. Due to all the open gaps it also can be quite loud. The 4000D is the smaller more standard size version and the 5000D is HUGE! (it can fit 10 120mm fans)

The 5000X is effectively the 5000D, but with a glass front and 3 included RGB fans. Due to it's price, we normally suggest it for higher end builds, but the 3 included fans mean adding an AIO with a couple of fans is all it needs.

The Meshify C is a case I don't know too much about, but from a review of a PCS machine that uses it it seems to be on the smaller side. The front mesh will allow good airflow but will likely suffer from the same issue as the 4000D with only 2 included fans

Another case that often gets recommended is the Coolermaster TD500 Mesh. It comes with a full mesh front and 3 ARGB fans so is a great deal for a more premium case (although the creases on the side panel I find a little odd).

The cases currently available are the 215, TD500 Mesh, 5000D Airflow and the 5000X. Below are reviews for all the cases mentioned above that may help you make a decision. They're all by Gamers Nexus so will give a good reference for the cooling performance between them.

Lian Li 215
Corsair 4000D
Corsair 5000D
Corsair 5000X (There wasn't a review from this GN on this so I've linked another review)
Fractal Design Meshify C
Coolermaster TD500 Mesh

The decision is really based a lot on the budget and what you'd like to spend on the case, and that's the reason I haven't given a final answer but I hope this info is helpful. If you go for a case that needs extra fans you can use the live chat, or call them when they're open and ask them to add a note to the builder.

Martyman

Yeah, thanks Junior - I had changed to the Meshify C yesterday, but then today I noticed that was no longer being sold, so I got in touch via the chat, and they confirmed that was also now out of stock.

I spent most of the last few days checking out the reviews from Gamers Nexus (aka Tech Jesus), and much as my profile avatar may lead you to believe different, I don't really need the bling 😁. I was thinking about the Lian Li 215, but with the original Define 7 spec, I had spent 2k on the system, and it didn't feel right, opting for a budget case. However, the fan issue on the 5000D is a pain, and I am swithering - also adding the two extra fans will cost me another £45 (why couldn't they have just included two fans? It's bonkers 😤 )

I suppose if I go for the Lian Li 215, I could use the credit to add a second Seagate 2tb drive 🤔

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Is the Lian Li Lancool II not an option for you? It’s a fantastic case, great airflow even without the mesh front and it is consistently highly rated.

Ash_

Master Poster
If you have a Noctua cooler, i think the 5000D airflow would be almost silent. Only thing i hear in my 4000D is the pump and that’s only because it is broken 🤣.

5000D i’d suggest adding the 3 LL120 fans in. Then you’ll have 3 intake and 2 exhausts (likely both roof mounted).

gohan2091

Bronze Level Poster
Am I the only one who sent his own case in? I sent in a Phanteks p600s. I originally wanted the Phanteks p500a but couldn't find it in stock anywhere.

D

Deleted member 17413

Sending i nyour own case is a little more footwork, but I think def worth it right now.
Case range has shrunk considerably, I think likely due to supply issues, but if ordering an in stock item from elsewhere you can have it delivered to PCS and I dont think any build times would be hugely impacted...a day or two maybe.

Ive been plugging it a fair bit recently :p

Martyman

Is the Lian Li Lancool II not an option for you? It’s a fantastic case, great airflow even without the mesh and consistently highly rated.

LOL - now you know why I spent a whole day watching Gamers Nexus videos. I just couldn't decide. Yes - the Lancool II came into the equation, but I can't remember why I opted for the Meshify C, in the end. I think it may have been because the GN review showed thermals weren't that great in comparison. I'll need to look back at it