Case fan RPM

joker375

Gold Level Poster
Hello all :)

I am curious about something. When I first got my PC from PCS there was a program installed called EPU 4 Engine which allowed you to select either Max Power Saving mode or High Performance mode. When I set it to Max Power saving mode the rear case fan would sit around the 1900 RPM mark when I was browsing the web. However said program would always cause my PC to hand at shut down (another story) So When I called PCS the recommended that I remove the program completely as they have heard quite a few reports of it causing problems on peoples PC's and that I should allows windows to control the power needed for things I am doing I.E Gaming etc..

I uninstalled the program and so far my PC has not Hanged at shutdown but I have however observed my rear case sitting around the 1997-2050 RPM mark when I am only browsing the web etc... Does this speed seem extremely high to any of you guys or am I Just finding faults when there aren't any?

Any responses will be greatly appreciated :D!

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I assume that the rear fan is connected to the motherboard? if you dont have a fan controller this will be the case.

Have you installed Asus probe II? Its on the motherboard cd. It allows you to do all sorts really, many of the features of your motherboard. If not take a look. There's a bit of software called "fan expert" it allows you to set fan profiles for different fans in your system, "cpu fan" or "Chassis fan 1" or "chassis fan 2" and so on, you will have to look in your manual to see which port the rear fan is plugged into. But once you have that, then you can set a profile ( basically what fan speed to what temperature ) There's a few pre made ones, called intelligent, turbo, standard, and maybe a few others. have a look and see what yours is set to, then if you find it too loud drop it a notch, or up it a notch. I'd suggest sticking with the pre made profiles first, till you gain the experience and knowledge to set your own profile.

The speed does seem a bit fast, however, as its a coolermaster case and fan, they are generally quite fast, I think that its gonna be top speed of either 2000 rpm or 2200rpm. But if the air coming out of the back of the pc is cool, then you could slow it down a tad, but if its warm, or times of gaming its warm, then i'd certainly keep it fast. On my rig, I drop my case fans to 50% "ish" when using the pc for normal stuff, but gaming everything goes to 100%, noisy and probably overkill lol, but that's what i do.

What cpu cooler do you have mate?

joker375

Gold Level Poster
Yeah the case fan is connected to the mobo.

I didn't know But ill pop the ASUS cd in and have a look for said program thanks :)!

well currently the air coming from that fan is cold, yeah the max speed I have seen is 2252 rpm when I have been playing games etc..

The whole thing of setting fan speeds etc and messing much with settings is beyond me (mechanic by trade) so not too good with pc components :p but Ill have a snoop around on what you mentioned sir :)

I have the Triple copper pipe cooler from PCS with an Unclocked AMD FX - 4100 max temperature I have seen when Playing BF3 is 34c so it keeps the CPU comfortable :)

EDIT: I think the program you were referring to is the same as EPU 4 Engine no..? which caused problems and my PC would hang at shut down so I'm slightly dubious?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
EDIT: I think the program you were referring to is the same as EPU 4 Engine no..? which caused problems and my PC would hang at shut down so I'm slightly dubious?

Unless Asus have changed the software, my bad I didn't notice you use AMD cpu.

Good temps for bf3 though. :)

It should be on the mobo cd though. What mobo ya got?

joker375

Gold Level Poster
Not to sure Ill have a look

Yeah I was shocked I was expecting something in the range of 50c+ ::p

MOBO: ASUS M5A78L