Case fan upgrade help needed.

Everon

Enthusiast
Hi guys.

A few years ago I bought a PC from PCS. The motherboard is the ASUS P8Z77-V which is in a coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced case. It currently has the default fans that came supplied which is 1x140mm at the front, 1x140mm top, 140mm at the back.

The problem I have is that I want to fit a new fan on the front which is a Noctua NF-A14 FLX. Now the Noctua states it needs 12v but the motherboard states that the CHA_FAN headers have +5V ( the pins show GND,CHA FAN PWR, CHA FAN IN, 5V)

I am not sure what to do or if I can use the fan. I have read many sites inc toms hardware but cant find an answer. If you guys can give any advice I would be grateful.

Cheers, Jay.

steaky360

You could try to plug it in see if it works :) - its very unlikely to damage anything

Failing that, you can plug the fan directly into the PSU via a molex connection but it will be running at full speed constantly if you do that (not always ideal!).

Everon

Enthusiast
I read that the 5V pin is for the fourth pin which im not using as my fan is 3 pin and that 12V is the supplied power so thats ok.

One more question if I may. I want to add a side fan (120mm) but would have to fit a splitter to be able to have one as all the CHA FAN connectors are in use. Would it be safe to buy one of those splitter cables to do it if the fans are less than 1A total draw? Or would I be better with a fan controller and if so which one would you guys recommend. I would prefer one that is Auto sensing for temp as im a noob and wouldnt have a clue what to set them as!

Thanks again, Jay.

steaky360

Personally I think you'd be fine with a splitter and two fans, however to be safe get a controller :) - not sure on what to recommend though I've not needed to really look into controllers unfortunately.