Case Fans

JSG10

Expert
Hi guys,

In the near future I'm planning on sticking a couple more fans in the PC just to keep it all running nice and cool and to make it glow more ;) :D lol

I'm thinking of using these fans:

HERE They do these without LEDs too if I decide I want less wires
OR
HERE

Although a guy on youtube suggests buying from someone other than CM? I dunno...

Also I'm still after filter material as show in this video (same guy who gave fan advice)
HERE
He doesn't say what the material is but it looks like just the job, anyone got any ideas as to what it is and where I can get it?

Now I'm not sure where I'm supposed to be plugging them into as I've looked all over the motherboard and can't find any more spare 3pin fan headers, there are only 2 that I can see and they are already in use by the front and top fans. I also can't see any spare molex connectors from the PSU. I take it I'll have to get a splitter like THIS or THIS?? Would it just be a case of finding any molex currently in use, unplugging it then replugging it all into one of these splitter cables? How many times can you split off one connection? Could I put two or even three splitter cables into one so I can run all the fans off one connection?

I'm planning on adding 3 extra fans, 2 intakes on the side and another exhaust on the top. Might have to switch out the current top one for 2 120mm if I can't fit another in there.

Last edited:

bg92

Expert
You can fit two 140mm on the top, I have two 140mm on the top, Also the material in that youtube video doesn't look like filter material to me, what motherboard do you and what psu? than maybe I could post pic of mine and show where the connections are.

JSG10

Expert
It looks to be a thin mesh type material. Not seen it anywhere online, all inbuilt filter unit type things.

Motherboard is the standard M4A87TD and PSU is Corsair TX650.

From what I can see in the mobo manual (yes I'm resorting to the manual!!!) There are only 3 fan headers, 1 being for the CPU fan. My top fan is connected to the header to the left of the board and my rear fan runs across to the header on the right and just underneath my GPU. I think the front fan is connected by a molex from the PSU (all the wires are hidden away at the moment)

Last edited:

JSG10

Expert
I think there may be one at the front of the case on the right side, the one the front fan is connected to I think has another molex coming off it but I'd have to trail wires all over the place to use it.

bg92

Expert
Now I'm running two fans on one molex connector. It works, but it will depend on what type of 3pin to molex adapter you will have supplied with your fans, mine allow to connect them together.

JSG10

Expert
Thanks for that :)
I'll have to take the case apart and have a closer look inside to see if I've any more loose connections.
Are there different types of adapters then? All getting very confusing for someone new to all this :S lol

bg92

Expert
I think they are, but as long as they are 3 pin to 4pin molex adapters than you will be fine, also get the 2 way 4 pin molex splitter if needed, the first link not the second one, also when you get your fans post pics up of the adapter, then we could figure out if you need the 2 way 4 pin molex splitter.

bg92

Expert
btw it is not as confusing as it looks, it is just common sense really, just have to figure out what goes where and connect it :p

JSG10

Expert
Thanks for all your help :) Will look into it all.
Any suggestions on particular fans?

Yeah I play it through steam. Same name as on here or Viking :D
I'm part of the PCS group if you're on there.

Last edited:

JSG10

Expert
Nice thanks. I was just looking at those Silent Eagle ones on Amazon before you posted it up :)

I'm tempted to get a fan controller too and to remove my card reader on the front and put the controller in its place as I've realised I barely ever use it. Thought it would be a handy thing to have but I've used it twice I think and both times for an SD card that I actually have a USB adapter for lol

bg92

Expert
I'm thinking about a fan controller as well and also in place of my card reader don't even know why I buoght it. And about adding more fans in. Do have links to fan controllers?

JSG10

Expert
Lol same here. All it does is allow dust in I've noticed :S The top of it is always covered.

Only had a look on amazon (which only have 2 or 3 controllers) and that Scan.co.uk HERE who have got loads to choose from.