Case Question

Hi I was thinking about ordering The PCS Maelstrom T900 Case with a Titan Fenrir CPU cooler, but I read that due to the size I would loose the 220mm Fan and LED's can anyone confirm this?

And would the SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER have the same problem?

I wander because it's one of the main attractions of the case for me.

Thanks

Tom DWC

Yeah much. It's hard to tell from the pictures but in comparison the Titan Fenrir is massive.

pengipete

Rising Star
I have the Maelstrom T900 and the Titan Fenrir. It's a tight fit - in fact the tips of the heat-pipes were just catching on the fan's housing when the side panel was slid into place and I was worried that it would tilt the heatsink or maybe even twist the board. I filed a small notch into the fan housing and that sorted it.

pengipete

Rising Star
It was difficult to get the exact point where it contacted so I gradually filed down an area about the size of a fingernail in width and maybe a milimetre or so deep at the middle. It was just a matter of filing, checking the fit then filing again until it was clearing the pipes. The thing to watch is that the plastic is the hard, brittle sort - you have to use very fine files (and a fair bit of patience). I used a needle file to cut a groove and then filed outwards from there to give a V shape with the wider part towards the front of the case.

What I should say is that the ends of the pipes on the Fenrir are crimped so there's likely to be quite a variation from one cooler to the next. You may find that one fits with no problem and another doesn't. I did consider filing the end of the heatpipe but I decided that it was asking for trouble plus - worse case scenario - a new fan would only cost a tenner or so. I may even swap the original fan out - for a thinner one with a motherboard connector (for speed control) rather than the fixed speed MOLEX one.

Alrighty cheers, plan on ordering over the weekend so will do a bit more research into parts and stuff.

Thanks again for your input :D