Case side panel fan issue

marvir

Enthusiast
hey guys,

My rig just arrived today. Sadly I didn't know that I needed a MINI HDMI cable to connect to the graphics card. I'm currently on a train to another town to an ASDA that has one. Haha. Anyway, I have an issue with my side panel case fan on my Corsair 500R.

I found where I connect the side panel fan to the motherboard but the end of the connector doesn't seem to fit in the slot. There's a bit of plastic on the tip that blocks the path to the pins. It's the right place (labelled ch fan or something) but I t's like to make it fit I have to break the little plastic but at the end of it.

I also checked all the other fans that are already hooked plugged in, the connector is slightly different to the one on the side panel.
Any ideas?

I can't put up pics at the moment as I'm on a train.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
We'll need to see pics of both the fan header and the header on the motherboard if poss, will help see what's going on.

marvir

Enthusiast
I've had another issue with my computer unfortunately. I'm assuming that things may have gotten a bit bumpy during delivery, but when I first turned my PC on, it could only recognize 1 of my hard drives, and my secondary HD was not recognized. When I took out the drive I saw that first, the HD's power was disconnected, and second, a piece plastic from the HD seems to have chipped off, and the SATA cable doesn't stay connected.At the moment I've been able to reconnect it, and it has finally been recognized, but I don't think I want to keep a HDD that might get disconnected at the slightest movement. Is this something PCS will replace? I guess I'll have to phone them tomorrow but this just kinda disheartening. Nothing on PCS's side though, just unfortunate. I've never had smooth experiences with major purchases.

Here's the pictures of the connector for the fan.. There's the little plastic bit on the tip that protrudes that's keeping me from plugging it in, and all the other fan slots are occupied. I can't get a decent picture of the motherboard slot unfortunately, my camera just can't focus enough on it.
Fan header 02.JPG

Fan header 01.JPG

03.JPG

By the way, just on a side note: Do you guys do a fresh install when you get a new rig?

Last edited:

marvir

Enthusiast
Okay after some checking online I've read that the fan is supposed to connect to the fan controller that's supplied with the case I have. I'll have to try that in the morning.

Edit: I found the connector, it seems all fans for the 500R are connected to the fan controller. I had to open up the other side of the case to get to it, cable just about reaches.

Last edited: