Cause For Concern?

joker375

Gold Level Poster
Feel Like I am posting non stop on here with things I pick up on...Here's my latest :p

I had both CPUID HW Monitor and GPU-Z Open will I was just browsing the tinternet and noticed that my GPU fan would spike up from its normal Idling 1110RPM to 4560RPM in a little burst however both temperature monitors are reporting that the GPU temperature is only 33c:dots:

Is just one of those things that happens or is it something more serious....?

Cheers for your help gents :D

joker375

Gold Level Poster
Straight back down just like a 1-2 second spike

EDIT: Seems to have stopped now, Swear it has a mind of it's own :/

joker375

Gold Level Poster
Capture.png

This is what I am talking about I think it is just a software glitch?

Another one Just seems like a glitch to me ....:/

As this is what the GPU load is etc...?
Capture3.png

Capture1.png

Last edited:

steaky360

Hmm, has it happened a lot? Or are you just noticing it because you're looking for it? i.e. did you notice it before you started using CPU-Z/CPUID HW Monitor?

EDIT: Well that is just the Max Value the fan speed has been registered at, I wouldn't be too concerned really - its more the temps you would be concerned about if anything (and obviously your temps are fine :))

joker375

Gold Level Poster
Yeah I have only noticed it today, Was just confused why the fan would spin at 6000rpm when I am doing nothing and the GPU load is 2% haha?

steaky360

I cant answer why to be honest bud, not a clue. I would reset the min/max levels on CPUID HW Monitor if you can and see if/when it happens again.

joker375

Gold Level Poster
Yeah tried that and It still shoots up to 5280 - 6000rpm for a couple of seconds so I don't know hoping its not a defective GPU :/

steaky360

Have you noticed any other issues with it? I don't think it'll be defective to be honest.

I would have been far more concerned if it had stayed at 100% for a longer time. Maybe someone else on here can shine some light as to why its doing that in the first place though...

Sorry I cant be of more help :(

joker375

Gold Level Poster
No worries mate I appreciate your input. Nah no other issues I can still play games etc the max temp I have clocked it at was a lengthy session of ARMA 2 OA and the temp there was CPU 32c GPU 70-71c but apparently from the guys on here that is reasonable so...I can't think of anything else ?

Nah its not staying at 100% and when it does say it is apparently spinning at 6000rpm I am assuming it would make a fair amount of noise but when I listened CPUID was saying it was spinning at 5220rpm but there wasn't more fan noise than usual?

I opened up the case there (Don't worry Anti-static strap was on :D) and there wasn't anything in front of any of my fans and the temperature inside of the case wasn't hot by an means so it isn't overheating that is causing this.

I'm convincing myself it is an anomaly unless something happens *touches wood every piece of wood in the house!* then I can give PCS a call no point if it is just a little spike now and then ....?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Nah its not staying at 100% and when it does say it is apparently spinning at 6000rpm I am assuming it would make a fair amount of noise but when I listened CPUID was saying it was spinning at 5220rpm but there wasn't more fan noise than usual?

I'm 100% certain that its the software, if it was spinning at 5000 rpm, it would be very loud. So i think you are fine mate.

joker375

Gold Level Poster
See I was thinking this as well and I can still run ARMA etc... at high settings and my temps and fan is still low so I am agreeing with you :)

baron75mk2

Banned
try msi afterburner to monitor fan speeds , does sound like the software to me , as tom said you would hear a real increase in fan noise if it was in fact spinning that high :yes:

joker375

Gold Level Poster
Yeah It seems ok I have been monitoring it when it is under high load i.e gaming etc and it is definitely under 2200rpm :)