Caviar green vs the world

calduf

Silver Level Poster
Hi,
Just wanna know if anyone has any personal experience with the WD caviar green range of hdd's. Seen as it has an indefinite rpm, (but is capable of quite a lot, or so I've heard) does this affect performance, load times or user expierience? Any views or thoughts welcome :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
as it is not spinning constantly (spins down when not in use) it takes longer to retrieve files and can affect loading time of games and OS, but files are fine, it is also believed it doesnt spin at 7,200RPM when at top speed so it is slower than a standard caviar black

so i wouldnt choose it for a boot drive but its ideal for media files

calduf

Silver Level Poster
But does this, hugely impact on load times, or just a few seconds, because I'm pretty sure about 90% of people wouldn't mind, if it was just 1-5 seconds or there abouts of a difference?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
i dont know the exact difference, i personally hate the load up and every computer i get i always cut down the startup programs, i dont really see why youd want a new PC and then get a slow drive, i want a new PC to be faster regardless and a caviar black most certainly does that compared to my current standard 5,400RPM laptop drive

as far as i know, caviar black is only a few quid more and would definitely improve boot times