cd/rom and dvd players stopped working.

Ted10

I bought my pc from PCS about 6years ago and it has been running fine but now a fault has occurred with both dvd drives as they will not read the discs,they blink six times and stop.I says to myself i will get new drivers and see if that cures the problem,but no such luck as you try to upgrade the drivers a message says error code 39.

I put that code into Windows and it told me to uninstall the following registry key HKEY-LOCAL_MACHINE/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/(4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318) Delete the registry keys Lower Filters,Lower Filters.bak,Upper Filter,Upper Filters.bak but could not find the filters with bak on them.How about one of you brilliant guys help me out with the right solution.

Keep it simple as i am 71 and self taught.Thanks to all who help me out.

pengipete

Rising Star
Hi Ted.

The advice for error 39 is to delete whichever of those registry values exist - if you don't have the ".bak" ones, just delete the others.

Give it a go and post back - if it doesn't work, we'll look for some other solutions.

Ted10

Thanks pengipete for getting back to me so quickly.

I have deleted the upper and lower filters but i am sorry to say that nothing has changed as both drives are still not working.

I am depending on your superior knowledge in fixing this problem.

pengipete

Rising Star
First things to look at....

Do the drives show up in Windows - double click on My Computers and are the drives there?

I'm tempted to suggest that the drives are just getting a bit old but it's hard to imagine both of them dying at the same time. One obvious question - what disks have you tried? If they are blank disks or one's you've written yourself, they are the most likely to have problems with older drives or dirty laser lenses. Can you insert a normal, pre-recorded CD and see if it shows up in My Computer? If it does, can you play it (just double cick the drive's icon)? If it shows up but refuses to play, it could be down to dirty lasers - those drives are getting on a bit. If it does play, it's possibly down to dirty laser lens (home-recorded disks are affected far more than pre-recorded ones) or it could be something else - in particular, if the disks that aren't working are all new ones as older drives tend to only work with certain tyoes of disk (they will work with +r but not with -r, for example). Perhaps some more detail on which disks aren't working would help.

If Windows doesn;t even recognise that you've inserted a disk...

Are they Sata or IDE drives?

If they're IDE (pretty likely on a six year old PC) and both stopped working at the same time, have you recently removed and reinserted the ribbon cable? If so, you may have inserted it the wrong way around. Apart from checking that the plugs are inserted the right way up on the back of the drives, if the ribbon is one of those with a plug at either end and one in the middle, you have to have the lead the right way around - the longest section goes to the motherboard.

If that doesn't apply, check that the ribbon cable hasn't come loose. Also, try the drives one at a time - connect each one in turn to the connector at the end of the cable (not the one in the middle) in case one of them is kapput and that's stopping the other one from working.

If none of that helps, we need to look at a couple of things that are a bit more techy - checking in BIOS and Windows Device Manager. Can you tell us what motherboard you have - so I can talk you through the exact steps.

Ted10

Hi pengipete believe it or not but the two drives have burst into life,how cool is that.

I have to say thank you very much for your help in solving this issue but as i am in the middle of Scotland i cannot buy you a drink(whisky of course) but keep up the good work as you are an asset to this site. Ted10