Changing HDD to SSD

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hi I had trouble cloning, but then used EaseUS and it cloned 1 TB disc onto 512meg SSD. Machine took 13 mins to load fully before and now takes 2mins 10secs to 2mins 30secs. Five time faster. Just plugged disc into 2nd slot ran free software to clone NOTE tick optimise for SSD, took abou 40mins and shutdown. Swapped connectors to make SSD first disk and Hi Presto, Identical machine running 5 times fasster with original 1TB disc as d: drive.

Two minutes! Wow. You must load an awful lot of stuff at startup? My desktop goes from cold to logged in to Windows in less than 30 seconds - and that includes typing time and without Windows fast boot....

rtho

My SSD has just arrived I've plugged it into the SATA on the mother board but the power cable with multiple connections doesn't seem to work, its like one power cable but has 3 connectors coming off of it in series but none of them are working except the one that is already plugged into the existing HDD( the way it came to me from PCS)

I think it is working just fine. You will not see it under Windows until you have cloned it. Load the cloning software and then clone the drive, the clone software will see it, make sure you select the correct source drive and then the new ssd as the target drive, may take upto 2+ hours if your original drive has a lot on it. You can then decide if you want to install Windows as a new install to your new ssd. First you will need to swap the sata leads around, just unplug both of them from the mb and plug them in the other way round. Now the pc will boot from your new ssd and you can install a fresh Windows to it if you want. All of your files will still be on your original drive.