check my spec, viper III

lemunk

Chassis & Display
Viper III: 18.4" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2760QM (2.40GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
2 x 1.5GB nVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 560M - DirectX® 11 (SLI)
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
500GB SEAGATE MOMENTUS XT HYBRID, SATA 3 Gb/s, 32MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card
Intel 5.1 Channel High Definition Audio + SPDIF/MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N CARD INC. BLUETOOTH 3.0
USB Options
2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 3 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD
Battery
Viper Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (4,700 mAh)
Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 220W AC Adaptor
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£109)
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Laptop Cooling Stands
Zalman ZM-NC2000 Ultra-Quiet Cooler, upto 20 inch (£39)
Keyboard & Mouse
INTEGRATED UK KEYBOARD
Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
PCS EXTRA-CARE DIAMOND DELIVERY - MON-FRI, PRE-NOON (£9)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 4 to 6 working days
Quantity

Price: £1,677.00 including VAT and delivery.

Thoughts and opinions? Only reason im getting an expensive laptop is cuz theres no room for a desktop in my current accomadation :(

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Firstly, make sure you get the silver warranty, it is only £5 and covers a lot more. Also what is your budget, I would get the 1333mhz RAM as you won't notice the diffference unless you overclock. Also, the 1600mhz ram seems to be having various problems in the Viper. For the HDD, don't use that one! With the money saved for the RAM, drop this HDD and get an SSD (I'd recommend the Kingston Hyperx) and a storage drive, I'd recommend a black scorpio if you can afford it.

lemunk

yeh the hardrive i rlly wanted a ssd for my OS and 1 or two of my popular games, but i had over stepped my budget, ive recently ammended my order to the scorpio which is cheaper too. As for the ram, i actually never knew that u get no performance out of the 1600mhz unless overclocked, kinda took me by suprise. Then again ive never used 1600mhz >.<! yeh im gona defo get the silver waranty. All in all, you reckon this is good for most modern games? I personally think its a beast and should be able to play most modern games on mid-high performance. Though i have no idea about the laptop Mobo and if its any good "fingers crossed".

lemunk

also i hear that SSDs are currently error prone and break down since there still a new technology, so settling with a scorpio only may be a wiser desition, or is what i heard complete trash?

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
also i hear that SSDs are currently error prone and break down since there still a new technology, so settling with a scorpio only may be a wiser desition, or is what i heard complete trash?

That is true, but it depends which SSD you get. Good choice on the black scorpio.

For your RAM thing, you may as well get the cheaper stuff as it won't affect performance.

Finally, yes, that is a beast, you will be able to play pretty much all games on ultra. The mobo is good and the warranty and customer support you get here is unbeatable.

lemunk

thanks for the advice! unfortunatly it was to late to change the ram as my laptop is built and waiting to be dispatched. Could you explain what the problem is with the viper II and the 1600mhz ram?

lemunk

wow thats worrying! seems the only way to solve it is with changing the ram to 1333..... i hope thgis doesnt happen cuz im hoping to install all my stuff on the weekend! :(

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
It should be fine, if the worst comes to the worst, you just get it downgraded and a refund. So you should be fine.

lemunk

reckon its to do with the kingston 1600? or just the fact the mobos clock is outa sync with 1600 in general?

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
I really dunno, probably a problem with the mobo not liking the 1600. Doesn't matter though, tell how it goes when you get it!

Kai121

Bronze Level Poster
@Lemunk, from a personal owner point of view heres the changes I would make:

First Hard Disk:
120GB KINGSTON HYPERX SSD (For OS, AV and other essential programs)
Second Hard Disk:
500GB WD SCORPIO BLACK (For games, Music, Movies and egenral storage)
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (£79) (Do you actually need professional edition?)
Warranty:
Silver Warranty

Everything else looks fine :), Dont bother with the Killer Network card as it has issues with certain programs and the only decent thing it brings is wireless optimisation (Which you can do on your own). The Zalman cooler is a good addition as it does drop the temps nicely, the only problem is it can be loud!

If you have any questions on the system itself feel free to ask me in here or in a PM.

Regards
Kai