Chelsea anyone...

Bhuna50

Author Level
Was let loose in the kitchen myself the other day so baked some tear and share Chelsea buns (with loads of filling / cinnamon etc in):

1615408016136.png

Bhuna50

Author Level
PS: I say tear and share - there's 3 of his in the house :D so it was more a strip of 4 each LOL

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
No time for the Hot Cross buns - will have to do them next week, as this Chocolate (orange) Fudge cake needs eating up now this week. [emoji23][emoji23]

3939a3f67755c5c9e4e7d65ee6fe316b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks top tier!

I would have to say that in my esteemed moose opinion, chocolate oranges have gone down in standards over the years. Far to grainy for my liking these days. But the cake looks great none the less.

Stephen M

Author Level
Returning to the Chelseas, one of my favourite buns. There is a bakers in Stroud, now Walkers but a lot of us still call it Fowlers, they only changed name about 40 years ago:)

Their Chelseas were legendary and are still very good but do vary.

They also do great Lardies, not the easiest to get right, the sugar outside has to caramelise, too often the poorer varieties have a sugar-cement coating.

Bhuna50

Author Level
Oooh I love a good Lardy cake (or Dripper as sometimes referred to). Just warmed up a little too. I’m getting hungry and now I’m laptopless for a few days (RMAd today for a new keyboard) I don’t need to worry about sticky / greasy fingers. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stephen M

Author Level
Should you visit Fowlers on the right day, there will be the Farmer's market a couple of minutes walk away. Not been since before lockdown but used to be very good with an excellent butcher.

Bigfoot

Grand Master
It is a long time since I had a Lardy cake. Many years ago a few of us from work would go to Fareham pool at lunchtime for a swim. I usually swam breaststroke for about a kilometre. All the good work was then undone by a trip to the bakery for a piping hot Cornish Pasty and a Lardy Cake.

Stephen M

Author Level
A good pasty is a real treat, traditional ones are great but used to love the beef and stilton from the pasty shop near the office in Gloucester.

Stephen M

Author Level
Getting proper regional food is something I have really missed during lockdown, have three weeks in Devon coming up and will be off to Cornwall to see family, or more correctly to have a pasty.

At the other end of our rock, am looking forward to my next Bridie.

Stephen M

Author Level
The west country pasty company do a very nice Thai Green vegetable curry one
Like the sound of that. Brown's who supply the football club do a nice chicken madras pie.

That said, Scotland has a seemingly unending variety of great pies. Macaroni pie is rather nice and if you are ever in Arbroath FC, the Steak and Black pudding pie more than makes up for freezing to death watching football in the North Sea.

Bigfoot

Grand Master
Getting proper regional food is something I have really missed during lockdown, have three weeks in Devon coming up and will be off to Cornwall to see family, or more correctly to have a pasty.

At the other end of our rock, am looking forward to my next Bridie.
Bridies, Rowies, Butteries, Stovies are all available up here.

Bigfoot

Grand Master
Like the sound of that. Brown's who supply the football club do a nice chicken madras pie.

That said, Scotland has a seemingly unending variety of great pies. Macaroni pie is rather nice and if you are ever in Arbroath FC, the Steak and Black pudding pie more than makes up for freezing to death watching football in the North Sea.
Obviously you need to try the Arbroath Smokies if in the vicinity. We also have Finnan Haddies a bit further north than Arbroath and Cullen Skink, if you prefer your fish in a soup.