Choosing a monitor

Hi all. Can anybody help me decide on what monitor would help me support my system to get the best FPS and performance possible. Quality isn't a priority of mine. My current CPU is AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D / GPU 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3060 Ti / Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 32GB 3600MHz.

I don't play enough to spend top of the range money but something that would help me max my FPS would be great.

Thank you to anyone that can help.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
£400
Does that mean I shouldn't bother with a 1440?
No, swap what I said earlier.

For most games the 3060ti is still ok for 1440p at high settings, but there will be a couple of newer titles like Hogwarts or Starfield that you'd have to heavily reduce settings.

But it would be better to get a 1440p monitor now, and adjust settings as needed as the monitor is going to last a lot longer than a GPU anyway. Especially with a £400 budget which is quite healthy.

You'd likely be coming up to upgrading the GPU in a year or so anyway.

So with that in mind, I'd say a standard 1440p 144Hz ish

This is still £370 on LG's site, but down to £290 on Amazon

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
In fact, over that one, I forgot, there's a new one on the market from AOC which includes proper HDR1000 support although with slightly lower local dimming zones.

But these days, I would say HDR is an absolute winner over HDR600, and worthwhile getting into and very unusual to find at this level.

It's brand new, only came out a month ago, it's a VA panel, but with the benefits I'd take a risk and say it's worth it. My monitor is a VA HDR1000 and although I do notice blooming, it certainly doesn't detract from the experience, but then I'm not an absolute gaming nut YET when it comes to noticing minute details.

Last edited:
This Is awsome thank you. I play Warzone and I'm definetly a gaming nut and always seek the upper hand. My Pc Is currently producing around 200fps when playing so would it make more sense to go for a monitor with say 200-240hz??

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
This Is awsome thank you. I play Warzone and I'm definetly a gaming nut and always seek the upper hand. My Pc Is currently producing around 200fps when playing so would it make more sense to go for a monitor with say 200-240hz??
iMHO no, just because the system can produce them has interaction to what your eyes can actually see.

What make and model is your current monitor?

I'm currently on msi G241 144hz 1080p monitor - It has a little damage to the centre of the screen and I have had it since 2021.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm currently on msi G241 144hz 1080p monitor - It has a little damage to the centre of the screen and I have had it since 2021.
So that’s 1080p, so you wouldn’t get above 140hz at 1440p.

But 1440p is a significant step up in terms of picture quality and detail, so you’d see things far far clearer.

1440p 144hz vs 1080 500hz, 1440p wins any day of the week. 1080p is just incredibly poor by todays standards, even at competitive level which there’s no suggestion you have, 1440p would be the minimum these days.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It does and then if you go through the process of ordering it comes up with an error. I even went to my local store and they explained It's because currys don't stock this item and it will mean It isn't even available through the manufactor.