Choosing a powerful cpu for a laptop

_Rob_

I am planning on purchasing an Octane 17 for gaming and number crunching. I am not sure which CPU to select; any advice gratefully recieved:

(i7 4790 3.6GHz, 8Mb, 84W) or (i7 4790s 3.2GHz, 8Mb, 65w)

84w sounds a lot, will this be a bit hot? Would it be better to go for 65w? Maybe these numbers don't mean that much but they are what the manufacture quotes.

Or would I be better off with the Vortex iv and the mobile cpu:

(i7 4810MQ 2.8GHz, 6Mb, 47w) which seems to be at about the same price point.

I guess it is a question of how good a job the Octane 17 does of keeping things cool. I am not a marathon gamer!

The vortex chipset is series 8 and the Octane series 9, does this make a difference?

Thanks,

Rob.

Stephen M

Author Level
The Octane is basically a desktop CPU in a laptop, so will run hot but should not be a problem, do you use a cooling stand. I have decided on an Octane as the performance for the price is better than the Vortex.

_Rob_

I will at least get a passive stand to help keep the bottom vents clear. I don't know how much an extra fan will help as it looks like some of the vents on the bottom are for air extraction, so blowing hot air back in may not help.

The other thing is I wish to run ubuntu so I am wondering if it will take care of the fan management ok.

But the main question is power v heat.

Maybe these are all the same cpu with tweaks to change the power?
Does the mobile cpu have better power management?
Does the 4790s always run 19w hotter, or only when using that extra 400 MHz?

Last edited: