Choppy 4k performance with Octane III 4k GTX 1080

pauhay158

Hey guys,

I have an Octane III laptop, 4k screen, G-sync (although not sure if the actual screen is), GTX 1080, 32GB DDR4, Samsung 950pro NVMe PCIe SSD.

When running Firestrike and TimeSpy benchmarks just to get a rough idea, with the latest Nvidia driver and all settings pretty much default, I am getting very choppy scenes and fps averaging around 20-30 fps which for this hardware spec I would expect close to double that.

Anyone got any ideas why this may be?

The CPU is currently overclocked to 4.2GHz but undervolted to -160mV

Many thanks in advance.

Paul.

pauhay158

Hey old friend!

It's normal Firestrike (non paid version of 3D Mark lol).

I haven't actually tried normal gaming yet as I am still installing programs etc but I just wanted to get a rough benchmark. It seems to me like there is a load of stuttering and I'm just a little deflated as this rig is the most powerful I've ever had and everything else runs amazingly, and the 4k screen is gorgeous.

I'll test out some Tomb Raider tonight as that is really well optimised for 4k.

Anyone tried external 4k monitors and had similar results?

Paul.

Fire Strike, Fire Strike Extreme, or Fire Strike Ultra? That might be quite normal depending on which of those. Those benches are deliberately brutal.

This is a desktop GTX 1080 in those benches: http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-review,28.html It gets 45, 21, and 12 FPS respectively in those Firestrikes.

What's actual gaming performance like?