Chromium based browsers not starting

AlanStorey

Installed windows 10 pro , Activated to my account, I have MS Money i have used for years now when i use Money and look at graphs etc all chromium based browsers fail to start up ie Edge Chrome and Opera. been pulling what little hair i have out for the last few weeks any help PLEASE.

Case CORSAIR CARBIDE SERIES™ 200R COMPACT GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i9 Ten-Core Processor i9-10850K (3.6GHz) 20MB Cache
MotherboardASUS® TUF GAMING B460-PLUS: ATX, LGA1200, USB 3.2, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM)32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1660 - HDMI, DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive500GB Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (up to 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
Power SupplyCORSAIR 450W CV SERIES™ CV-450 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingPCS FrostFlow 100 V2 Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired NetworkingWIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating SystemNO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Operating System LanguageUnited Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery MediaNO RECOVERY MEDIA REQUIRED
Office SoftwareFREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-VirusNO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
BrowserMicrosoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It's entirely possible that the version of MS Money you have is not fully supported by Windows 10. You may need to upgrade your copy of MS Money.

Generally, if you're using software that wasn't written for Windows 10 or doesn't specifically say that it supports Windows 10 (or rather, is supported by Windows 10) and you're having problems when you run it then it's that software that's the problem.

If your Chromium browsers start just fine when MS Money is not running but you have problems when it is, the it's almost certainly that MS Money is at fault.

AlanStorey

Thanks for the reply Money works fine on the old PCS i7 from about 6 years ago that the wife uses now with windows 10 20h2, I just sent an email from outlook 2016 and it did it again i have to reboot to get browsers working again could it be hardware based ? as the old i7 works fine

Gavras

Master Poster
From a quick google it looks like your Money.

there is a replacement apparently and a support website.

AlanStorey

This is only for the USA version but thanks anyway, when i posted the last post without anything running it happened again had to reboot to get back here.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks for the reply Money works fine on the old PCS i7 from about 6 years ago that the wife uses now with windows 10 20h2, I just sent an email from outlook 2016 and it did it again i have to reboot to get browsers working again could it be hardware based ? as the old i7 works fine
I think it's exceedingly unlikely to be hardware, though it might be a driver clash somewhere. See whether there is an update for your graphics driver on the Nvidia website.

Stuff is known to come loose in transit though. It might be worth popping all PCIe cards out and ensuring they are fully home and popping the RAM cards out and ensuring they are fully home. Check that all connectors are fully home and that everything is fully seated.

I think as a first step I'd check the basics on your PC, so run an sfc /scannow command to check your system files and a chkdsk /f /x to check the SSD filesystem (you'll have to reboot afterwards).

If that all comes back clean then it would be worth download Memtest, make a bootable USB stick from the extracted tool and boot that USB stick. Memtest will stat running - it's going to take many hours to check that 32GB, let it complete all four iterations of the various tests. Flaky RAM can cause all sorts of issues, though I wouldn't expect flaky RAM to just be associated with one application (Chromium browsers are RAM hungry though).

If MS Money is a critical app for you then I really would look at upgrading it, I'm still of the opinion that this is where the problems lie.

Last edited:

AlanStorey

Have re seated everything and did scannow and check disk no errors fingers crossed not had a crash for an hour or so.
thanks again

AlanStorey

Been trying for weeks now with still the chromium based browsers not starting I installed another evo 840 ssd and just installed a fresh windows 10 worked ok for a couple of days then again the problem started no other software only windows. at one stage i thought it was the wireless card so i removed it, still the problem any help please this is really taking the shine of what i thought was going to be a lightning quick PC

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Been trying for weeks now with still the chromium based browsers not starting I installed another evo 840 ssd and just installed a fresh windows 10 worked ok for a couple of days then again the problem started no other software only windows. at one stage i thought it was the wireless card so i removed it, still the problem any help please this is really taking the shine of what i thought was going to be a lightning quick PC
Have you run Memtest as I suggested earlier?

If I read this right, you have a new SATA SSD (the EVO 840), is that to replace the one you had or in addition to the one you had?

You've reinstalled Windows - was that a clean install from bootable media deleting existing UEFI partitions?

You say that 'windows 10 worked ok for a couple of days then again the problem started no other software only windows' but that can't be true surely? The problem seems only to happen with the old version of MS Money installed, so have you also installed that as well? Have you installed other Chromium browsers in addition to MS Edge?

It is extremely sensible to clean install Windows as a test, it gives you a perfect operating system platform. But it must be from bootable media, you must delete the existing four UEFI partitions, and you must allow Windows Update to install all drivers (except for the Nvidia card, install the latest driver for that manually).

You really need to try and make it fail in that pristine state - if browsers do fail to start then it's almost certain to be a hardware problem.

Your problem is that as soon as you install that old version of MS Money all bets are off, because you can't be certain that it's fully compliant with Windows 10. That it seems to work on your old i7 PC running Windows 10 doesn't prove that this version of MS Money is compatible, it might be ok on that hardware but not on your more modern hardware. That's not to say it's a hardware problem but it's likely to be that the old MS Money just won't run properly on Windows 10 on modern hardware.

TBH the only way you're going to be able to eliminate any suspicion that MS Money is the problem is by getting hold of a version that is certified compatible with Windows 10.

AlanStorey

Thanks for the reply I had nothing on the evo 840 i never installed any software exept windows, so money was not the problem. the evo 840 i took out of the PCS i7 i purchased about 6 years ago complete format then installed win 10. i installed chorme edge firefox opera and ie11 only the chrome browsers crash the non chromium work well. if i reinstall windows on the evo840 how can i format it before reinstall?
Thanks again

AlanStorey

Sorry yes i did the MEMTest took 7 hours no problem with memory thank goodness. My old i7 that the wife has now works great with money and everthing i want on the i9 so i am running out of ideas.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for the reply I had nothing on the evo 840 i never installed any software exept windows, so money was not the problem. the evo 840 i took out of the PCS i7 i purchased about 6 years ago complete format then installed win 10. i installed chorme edge firefox opera and ie11 only the chrome browsers crash the non chromium work well. if i reinstall windows on the evo840 how can i format it before reinstall?
Thanks again
Lets go back to basics, where are you getting your windows 10 installation image?

Where are you sourcing drivers?

AlanStorey

from the windows download site media creation tool it is the latest 20h2, then i install frm the disk pcs supplied for all the drivers the windowd update

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
from the windows download site media creation tool it is the latest 20h2, then i install frm the disk pcs supplied for all the drivers the windowd update
So don’t use the drivers disk PCS sent you, they’ll be well out of date. Let windows update install all it can, then manually install gpu drivers direct from manufacturer.

Also when you’re clean installing are you deleting all system partitions and installing to the blank space?

AlanStorey

also when the browsers stop working the search bar and recent and quick search window? all go black and wont come back till i restart.
I will do what you say and delete all partitions and do a clean install onto the 860 again and let windows install drivers etc.
how do i delete all partitions in the install stage and format the disk too.
Thanks again

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
also when the browsers stop working the search bar and recent and quick search window? all go black and wont come back till i restart.
I will do what you say and delete all partitions and do a clean install onto the 860 again and let windows install drivers etc.
how do i delete all partitions in the install stage and format the disk too.
Thanks again
There's no way of doing low level formats before install, that's all part of the installation nowadays.

Deleting partitions is the first stage of windows installation.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Sorry yes i did the MEMTest took 7 hours no problem with memory thank goodness. My old i7 that the wife has now works great with money and everthing i want on the i9 so i am running out of ideas.
Memtest taking only seven hours to completely test 32GB of RAM sounds awful fast to me. I'd have expected at least double that time, if not longer. It's a shame you didn't photograph the results screen so we could check that it's tested all 32GB. If you can afford the time to run it again please do that. :)

Since you have two SSDs in there now, both with Windows installed, when you do the clean install delete ALL partitions on ALL drives to be sure you're getting a completely clean install. Also ensure that the only things plugged in are the keyboard, mouse, and monitor. Unplug everything else. If your keyboard and mouse are wireless then change the batteries before installing.

You really need to test is as much as you can without installing ANY other software or making any configuration charges once Windows Update has installed all drivers and updates. Start as many other applications as you can, copy some big files between folders/disks and generally load up the PC as much as you can with just a vanilla Windows system and then see whether Microsoft Edge will start (it's Chromium based).

If that's ok then install all the software you'd normally use EXCEPT for the old MS Money application. Now stress the PC as much as you can again and see whether browsers open and/or whether you get the search bar/search window issues.

It might even be worth installing a stress testing app like Prime95 to load up the system so you can see whether Chromium browsers will start when it's under heavy load.

If you can't generate the browser start and/or search issues with the PC under load and without the old MS Money app installed then install MS Money and test it again. If you then get these issues again it's definitely that MS Money app that's the cause.

AlanStorey

Thanks will try today will use the old i7 and put this one into the other room so at least i can keep working, will get back in a few days and let you all know.
Thanks for your help

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It may have nothing to do with this issue but I wouldn't download IE11....apart from it not being supported by Microsoft (don't think they even use it anymore as WIn 10 systems come with it's replacement Edge), it is compromised from a security standpoint (has been for some time)
IE is still present in 20H2. No need to download it, just go to c:\program files\Internet explorer\iexplore.exe.