Clean install Windows 10 and MS Account

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Winner winner :D
I don't know whether Microsoft intended it this way but I suspect they did. I think it's a part of the move from 'Windows as a product' to 'Windows as a service'.

What it means is that once you've bought a license you can use it on every PC you buy in the future (as long as the old one is 'scrapped'). And that's sensible.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
I think you can 'convert' both OEM and Retail into a digital license and once converted they're more or less the same for all practical purposes.
There does seem to be some commentary suggesting that an OEM licence is intended for one install only. So while you can convert it to a digital licence you may only be able to move it to a new machine via the hardware change option, whereas a retail licence can be moved more freely. Does that sound right? If so, I’m not sure how many times you can do this?

Also I see associating your install with your account as being like digitally filing your licence key in an electronic drawer - always there when you need it. But if you remove your PC from your MS account, then you have opened that digital drawer and thrown the key away?

(Although it can magically be recovered from the trash bin by just re-linking your account again! :) )

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
There does seem to be some commentary suggesting that an OEM licence is intended for one install only. So while you can convert it to a digital licence you may only be able to move it to a new machine via the hardware change option, whereas a retail licence can be moved more freely. Does that sound right? If so, I’m not sure how many times you can do this?

Also I see associating your install with your account as being like digitally filing your licence key in an electronic drawer - always there when you need it. But if you remove your PC from your MS account, then you have opened that digital drawer and thrown the key away?

(Although it can magically be recovered from the trash bin by just re-linking your account again! :) )
The waters have been seriously muddied by the digital license, it's true. OEM still is tied to the hardware it came on, whilst Retail isn't. But from the above it's clear that if you 'convert' an OEM license to a digital license you can use it to activate an OEM copy of Windows from an old PC on a new PC in just the same way you can move a Retail copy.

As I mentioned, I think this is deliberate although not specifically stated as such.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
I've just re-linked my PCS PC with my account again now - and the "Windows is activated with a digital licence linked to your microsoft account" message has returned in settings. Also shows up as a device again on my Microsoft account. All is well.

Interestingly, retrieving the licence type afterwards on both my machines from the Command Prompt using the 'slmgr -dli' command does indicate the difference between the two licences:

Retail.jpg

Windows Licence Type.jpg

So while they both say digital licences linked to my account, the type of licence originally used has been retained. Not sure of the significance of that, but thought it was interesting anyway!! :)

(Edit - I think this just confirms exactly what Ubuysa has already said above!)

MarmotWhistler

Hi, thank you for such an extended input - I wasn't expecting so much input.

I have used Belarc Advisor software to get a full profile of the PC and this includes a product key for Windows 10 [also did this on my new PC and it also has a product key even though I've never entered one].

So I will try one of the suggestions provided and use the Product Key if that doesn't work.

Thank you everyone for your input.

Alan

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
I wish Microsoft could be more transparent and just have bullet points - does it do this, yes, does it allow this, no
It's a simple 5 step process already Spyder?

Step 1: Buy a PC with Windows. Pay no attention to what type of licence is involved. Be happy it just works.

Step 2: A random number of years later ponder moving Windows somehwere else. Ensure you have no recollection of how the first install happened.

Step 3: Search Google and find some info. But then realise you are reading an article from 2013.

Step 4: Search again and find another 2013 article that completely contradicts the first one.

Step 5: Try something random on your new PC. Be happy it all somewhow works - or alternatively get frustrated and buy a new licence you likely didn't need.

I think it's the final line of Step 5 that is key to Microsofts success......

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I think we have all learnt something though from this conversation/ debate about Windows licensing :D yet similarly, we dont know 100% how it works LOL :D

I firmly believe that's completely intentional from M$. It means that they can allow a bit of wiggle room to extend their base but then, at any point, pull the shackles in a little if they need to.

Windows 7 keys still activate, even though they were meant to have been discontinued years ago. This isn't by accident, it's completely by design.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
I firmly believe that's completely intentional from M$. It means that they can allow a bit of wiggle room to extend their base but then, at any point, pull the shackles in a little if they need to.

Windows 7 keys still activate, even though they were meant to have been discontinued years ago. This isn't by accident, it's completely by design.
I totally agree! For stuff like this you probably actually want to avoid complete clarity to ensure you can catch as large a base as possible.....