Cleaning dust from Vortex IV (nvidia 770)

daveeb

Enthusiast
Hi all

I've had the above for nearly 2 years now (bought mine around same time as Spyder tracks). I realise I'm very overdue to clean all the dust out but i'm rather unsure of how to go about it regarding what panels to take off etc. I've noticed that the GPU fan ramps up a lot more now and temps reach around 75c quite quickly whereas when new it never used to go past 60c and the fan would come on but was always quiet.

If anyone could spell out for me what I need to do to remove the dust that would be great. I really don't fancy re-pasting though, i suspect its a bit beyond my clumsy abilities.

Thanks for any help :yes:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi daveeb, how's it been treating you?

It's quite a straightforward process on the vortex. You can just take off the main bottom panel which exposes most of the inners. Get yourself a can of compressed air from PC world and a small natural fiber paintbrush. Ideally, you want to unscrew both the cpu and gpu fans, not the heat sinks, and spray them clear of dust, then spray the cooling lanes and get any more out you can. Any stubborn blocks tease out with the paintbrush.

So long as you don't remove the copper heatsinks, you shouldn't need to repaste at all.

daveeb

Enthusiast
Cheers ST !

Been really happy with it, no major glitches, been good as gold really (touches wood). Has yours been well behaved ?
Thanks for info, that's really helpful, much appreciated. :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Cheers ST !

Been really happy with it, no major glitches, been good as gold really (touches wood). Has yours been well behaved ?
Thanks for info, that's really helpful, much appreciated. :)

Yeah, mines been solid as a rock, still coping really well with triple a titles, I'm really happy with it.

If you get stuck at all, let me know and I'll post some photos to help guide you, won't take long.

daveeb

Enthusiast
Yeah, mines been solid as a rock, still coping really well with triple a titles, I'm really happy with it.

If you get stuck at all, let me know and I'll post some photos to help guide you, won't take long.

Cheers kind sir, i'll see how it goes and give you a shout if I get stuck. i haven't delved into pc innards since windows XP was a lad.

daveeb

Enthusiast
That seems to have worked, thanks ST !

Just out of interest which fan is the left hand side one (as you look from the front), I'm guessing it's the CPU one ?