clear shots of screen

infernocy

Silver Level Poster
does anyone knows any software or any tricks to get a clear shot of the screen because prt screen and paint is a bit blurry
Someone told me that saving as a gif instaid of jpeg is better but it is still blurry , also i used paint.net and still the same.
will it help if i increase the reso of the screen ?
thanks

Last edited:

Pete

Bright Spark
There's the snipping tool in Vista and Win7. Start > Programs > Accessories

If your screen grab is blurry i'd say it's because the program you're viewing it in, isn't displaying it at 100% or if you resize and don't maintain the aspect ratio.

if you're saving from image software, make sure you're saving as best quality or 100 as otherwise it will do more compression on the file. you are correct that saving as a tiff or png and probably gif is better than jpeg. depends what you want to do with it really.

Last edited:

pengipete

Rising Star
How about posting one of your "blurry" images so we can see what you mean. It's not actually possible to get a blurred image from a screen capture - it's an exact copy of the screen - byte for byte - so you'll probably find that it looks fine when it's posted here. Jpeg will be fine - it will also mean you sending a smaller file which will make it quicker and save your bandwidth.

You mentioned changing your resolution. It's unusual these days for people to change screen resolutions - unless you are using an older CRT monitor rather than the more common LCD. If you are using an LCD monitor, it will only give a clear display at one resolution - known as its "Native Resolution". If you don't know the native resolution, just select the highest possible setting using either the Display option in the controlpanel or your graphics card's own software.

If you struggle with the small text when the display is correctly set up on an LCD screen, you don't change the screen resolution - you change the DPI setting instead. This keeps everything sharp and in proportion whilst making text, icons etc larger. Right click on the desktop and select "Personalise" from the pop-up menu. On the left-hand side of the windows that opens, click on the option to adjust text size (DPI). When the DPI window opens, select the option for 120 DPI (that's good for most people). You'll get a nice, clear screen but all of the text, icon etc will be larger. If it's still not enough to make it readable, do the same again except click on the "Custom DPI..." button and set the value higher - just don't go above about 200% unless you want REALLY big text.

Last edited: