Clone partition SYSTEM E:\ Drive

4KingRich

I cloned the C:\ drive from an SSD to an m.2 with Reflect and it's created a SYSTEM (E:) drive that I don't want.

I don't know how to get rid of it and worried that if I do my computer won't boot up properly.

Is there a way to put this back where it belongs or remove it so that I only have two drives?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• drive.png
    drive.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 75

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I cloned the C:\ drive from an SSD to an m.2 with Reflect and it's created a SYSTEM (E:) drive that I don't want.

I don't know how to get rid of it and worried that if I do my computer won't boot up properly.

Is there a way to put this back where it belongs or remove it so that I only have two drives?

Thanks in advance
If you go into disk manager, right click on the e drive and select "change drive letter and paths" and just remove the drive name on that partition.

You don't want to delete it as it's required, but that will hide it from explorer

4KingRich

Thanks for the response.

I don't see drive E: in the disk management.

I also see partitions on Disk 0 that I don't need anymore.

Disk 1 is a HDD I don't use anymore.

Attachments

• diskmanagement.png
    diskmanagement.png
    110.3 KB · Views: 83

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks for the response.

I don't see drive E: in the disk management.

I also see partitions on Disk 0 that I don't need anymore.

Disk 1 is a HDD I don't use anymore.
Which is your boot drive (disk0 or disk2)?

Was the drive you cloned from in a UEFI bootable system? If so, which partitions did you image (it should have been all four of them)?

Did you restore that image to an empty M.2 drive (or did you tell it to overwrite all partitions on that M.2 drive)? I assume that disk 2 is the M.2 drive?

How and/or when, did the EFI and Recovery partitions get put onto disk 0? Did you tell Reflect to touch drive 0 at all?

4KingRich

I cloned Disk 0 (my original C: drive) onto Disk 2 (the m.2).
I chose all partitions in Reflect and there was no partitions currently on the m.2 as it was brand new.

Disk 0 came with the computer from PS last month (13-04-2020)

Reflect instructions were to clone this disk.... Selected the new drive and Finish.

I did get a FAT32 permission error but it copied the files anyway.
I get the same error when I try to access SYSTEM ( E: )
"You have been denied permission to access this folder."

Attachments

• reflect.png
    reflect.png
    88 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

4KingRich

I restarted all over again, formatted the drives and I used reflect to "clone" my backup Windows from a 250GB external hard drive...but now it thinks my 1TB is only 250GB.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I restarted all over again, formatted the drives and I used reflect to "clone" my backup Windows from a 250GB external hard drive...but now it thinks my 1TB is only 250GB.
So now you just have to adjust the partition size in disk manager.

4KingRich

It says unallocated but I don't know what kind of volume to turn it into.
I also lost my D: drive by using diskpart and "clean all" :geek:

It says Disk is not initialised.

4KingRich

I extended the partition on the C: drive, that's all good now.
Problem is my storage disk D: is still cleaning and can't initialise, I was using diskpart to try and fix it instead of disk management and made it "clean all" which is taking ages.

I wanted to get rid of all the windows partitions on the storage drive and make it clean again.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I extended the partition on the C: drive, that's all good now.
Problem is my storage disk D: is still cleaning and can't initialise, I was using diskpart to try and fix it instead of disk management and made it "clean all" which is taking ages.

I wanted to get rid of all the windows partitions on the storage drive and make it clean again.
Will take a long time. If it's an SSD, just for future reference, it's not a good idea to do clean all on ssd as it can reduce the lifespan of the drive.

4KingRich

No I was wiping the D: drive but after I extended the partition on the C: drive it seems that windows doesn't want to work on it anymore

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just to confirm, the "backup windows" that you cloned, was that off this PC? If it was from another PC, you won't be able to restore it to a new one.

4KingRich

It was from an old PC that I changed the USER access on. I need some kinda boot disk for windows and full reinstall. Right now it's doing a troubleshoot reset this PC thing, I'm not sure if that's reinstalling a clean windows or removing everything. Better than nothing though right?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It was from an old PC that I changed the USER access on. I need some kinda boot disk for windows and full reinstall. Right now it's doing a troubleshoot reset this PC thing, I'm not sure if that's reinstalling a clean windows or removing everything. Better than nothing though right?
No, it won't work as it's configured for different hardware.