CM 690 Mk 2 case.

eagleonthelast

Anyone know what advantage the slot on top of the Coolermaster Mk2 for an extra hard drive is please? I've gone for an extra external USB 3 HDD on mine, but just wondered if I've made the wrong decision that's all.

eagleonthelast

Yes but I can connect my external USB 3 drive while the computer is running, so what's the difference? Sorry if I'm missing something, as I'm not an expert and don't mean to be awkard, but the only difference I can see is the connection.

JSG10

Expert
You can plug the drive straight into it without use of any cables. Bascially you can use an internal drive in that slot without actually having to mount it in a drive bay and plug it in via a sata cable to the mobo.
You wouldn't be able to do this with your external drive as it'll already be in an external caddy, you'd have to take it out to use the slot so a bit pointless in your situation really.

eagleonthelast

So as I don't intend taking my external drive from my house and sharing, I maybe should have got something like a Caviar Green and just plugged it into the facility on the outside of the case. Oh never mind too late now anyway, thanks for your reply though.

JSG10

Expert
Yeah you can do that if you want.
I found it useful when transferring date from my brothers internal HDD to mine for storage as it meant I only had to take it out of his and didn't need to faff about installing it in mine, just stick it in the top :)

Sie

Gold Level Poster
Comes in handy if your transfering from your old system but dont wish to put the harddrives into the actual new system and wire free. only thing is (atleast with mine) ive got to restart my system for it to pick up the harddrive in the hot swap bay :<