Common problematics related to Vortex IV LE?

zhed

Hi all,
It's been almost a month deciding my next laptop and in the end I always end up on PCS.
I'm looking for a rather high end laptop, and that's incredible how a Vortex can be equipped with way better specs, compared to a way more expensive Alienware or Razer.
I could assume most of this cost overhead is to attribute to the brand, the nice design and the fancy stuff I don't need like epic speakers and disco keyboard.
Said that, I would like to know if there's more than meets the eye, e.g. There are so known issues like heating, build quality, noise, you name it, with laptops like the Vortex that I should be aware of.
Of course, the most welcomed opinions are from the ones who actually own said machines :)
Looking forward to read your answers!

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I have no issues with my vortex. I find the chassis quite sturdy. Some users complain regarding the sound, which is fine with me. There is also the locked bios and the trackpad is sometimes too sensitive but I disable mine since I use a mouse.

zhed

I have no issues with my vortex. I find the chassis quite sturdy. Some users complain regarding the sound, which is fine with me. There is also the locked bios and the trackpad is sometimes too sensitive but I disable mine since I use a mouse.
Aha, thanks again Keynes, I never see you missing a thread :p can you tell me more about the fan noise and the keyboard quality.
I might be fine with everything else, but noise + uncomfortable keyboard is what drives me crazy the most.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
The fan only kicks in when gaming, I use the laptop mostly for work, showing presentations and stuff to others and it is pretty silent. Keyboard is great once I disable the trackpad. I occasionally touch it and it messes up my typing. That may be cause by the way I type as well.

zhed

The fan only kicks in when gaming, I use the laptop mostly for work, showing presentations and stuff to others and it is pretty silent. Keyboard is great once I disable the trackpad. I occasionally touch it and it messes up my typing. That may be cause by the way I type as well.

I see, trackpad is not really the main concern, but I wonder if the fan is particularly noisy or it's just clearly audible.

This may sound too maniacal, but considering I work and play with laptops, it is nice to think I can avoid the headache caused by such noise :p

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Any gaming laptop is going to be noisy under load, I use a headset so for me it is not noticeable at all, when working the laptop is pretty silent.

zhed

Any gaming laptop is going to be noisy under load, I use a headset so for me it is not noticeable at all, when working the laptop is pretty silent.

Yeah, what's important is that it doesn't get full throttle even when just browsing the web, and there are some laptops that do so (I read a few users lamenting this about the Optimus V).

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
I have the Vortex 2 and been using it for just over 2 years now. The chassis has been amazing, i have the machine on pretty much 24/7 and its sometimes in the room where i sleep and you can hear the fans but they wouldn't prevent me from sleeping at all.

When playing a heavy game like Battlefield 4 the machine noise does increase but the internal speakers are loud enough to drown it out.

I think the Vortex chassis are great, the cooling is excellent for the high level GPU that can be used in them and i've found them extremely durable, the only marks mine have is from my Cat which sometimes site on the lid when i'm not watching, or a couple of stains on the bottom where my other half thought it would be acceptable to take it into the kitchen when she is cooking.

I would recommend this to anyone and if i have to buy one again i would be more than happy to go with another Vortex.

Hope this helps

zhed

I have the Vortex 2 and been using it for just over 2 years now. The chassis has been amazing, i have the machine on pretty much 24/7 and its sometimes in the room where i sleep and you can hear the fans but they wouldn't prevent me from sleeping at all.

When playing a heavy game like Battlefield 4 the machine noise does increase but the internal speakers are loud enough to drown it out.

I think the Vortex chassis are great, the cooling is excellent for the high level GPU that can be used in them and i've found them extremely durable, the only marks mine have is from my Cat which sometimes site on the lid when i'm not watching, or a couple of stains on the bottom where my other half thought it would be acceptable to take it into the kitchen when she is cooking.

I would recommend this to anyone and if i have to buy one again i would be more than happy to go with another Vortex.

Hope this helps

Definitely it does. Do you know, though, any good reason to pick a Vortex IV instead of the Vortex IV version? I'm not interested in backlit keyboard, if that's the big deal. Also, I find the keyboard design slightly more appealing, but if that's it I would stick with the LE version.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Apart from the keyboard I don't think there is another difference apart from the choice of GPUs, you won't be able to get the gtx 880m on the LE version.

zhed

Apart from the keyboard I don't think there is another difference apart from the choice of GPUs, you won't be able to get the gtx 880m on the LE version.
Cool! So for me there's no reason at all to go with the non-LE version. Most of the guys sharing their specs on the web were talking about non-LE version so I was afraid there was something really bad with it :p