Compare the two (for high end gaming only)

HarryNZ

Hello everyone,

I was about to finalize my payment for the first spec but then I was reading around (mostly about overclocking gpu does nothing for gaming) and started playing around with another spec. But for a bit of fun I would still like the K to play around with some clocking.

My budged including a monitor, keyboard and headset is around 1.8 - 2.0k, I know that some of the accessories along with the soundcard (I have got a surround sound theater at my house for movies etc) are a bit overkill but I'm happy to pay that for my 'ultimate gaming experiance' as I tend to be a fussy gamer with my audio/visuals. I also have no intention to SLi in the future.

Here it is,

1st Spec:

Case: COOLERMASTER HAF 922 MID TOWER GAMING CASE

Overclocked CPU Overclocked Intel® Core™i5-4670k Quad Core (3.40GHz @ max 4.20GHz)

Motherboard :ASUS® Z87-K: ATX, USB2.0, USB3.0, SATA6GB/S, XFIRE

Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON HYPERX BEAST DUAL-DDR3 2400MHz X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)

Graphics Card : 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 770 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D

Memory : 1st Hard Disk: 120GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 555MB/sR | 510MB/sW)

2nd Hard Disk :1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)

Power Supply: CORSAIR 650W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ MODULAR TXM-650 V2-80 PLUS®

Processor Cooling :Corsair H100i Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler

Thermal Paste :ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND

Sound Card :ASUS XONAR D2X - Bring Hi-Fi spirit to your Music, Movie & Games

Monitor: BENQ XL2411T 23.6" GAMING LED - 1920 x 1080, 1MS, DVI-D, HDMI

Keyboard : Razer® Black Widow 2013 Ultimate Mechanical Gaming

Headsets :Razer Tiamat 7.1 Gaming Headset

Warranty : 3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)

£1,858.00 inc VAT

2nd Spec:

Case
COOLERMASTER HAF 922 MID TOWER GAMING CASE

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-4670K (3.4GHz) 6MB Cache

Motherboard
ASUS® Z87-K: ATX, USB2.0, USB3.0, SATA6GB/S, XFIRE

Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPERX BEAST DUAL-DDR3 2400MHz X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)

Graphics Card
3GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 780 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready

Memory - 1st Hard Disk
120GB KINGSTON V300 SSD, SATA 6 Gb (450MB/R, 450MB/W)

2nd Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)

Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W VS SERIES™ VS-650 POWER SUPPLY

Processor Cooling
Corsair H40 Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler (£39)

Sound Card
ASUS Xonar D2X - Masterpiece Audio Card for Home Theater (£86)

Monitor
BENQ XL2411T 23.6" GAMING LED - 1920 x 1080, 1MS, DVI-D, HDMI (£238)

Keyboard & Mouse
Razer® Black Widow 2013 Ultimate Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (£119)

Headsets
Razer Tiamat 7.1 Gaming Headset (£142)

Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)

£2,018.00 inc VAT

P.S Is there even any point with the H40 cooler if possibly looking to O/C to around 4.0ghz when the case it self has so much air flow?

Thanks for all in advanced,

Regards

Harry

tom_gr7

Life Serving
option one will give you better gaming performance, - but you wont see a massive difference from overclocking.

Things to note, imo

- get a better case, the haf 922 is a good case, but i think for the price there are better cases.
- get the extra warranty for a fiver.
- also note you can't add another gpu to that motherboard, if you wanted to do that go for a higher mobo. If not stick with your current choice.
- dont get the h40, corsair chuck in a cheap 3pin which is loud and runs at 100% all the time. H60 would be my choice for a non oc'd rig/ or the triple copper cooler. IF you ARE overclocking the h80i or the h100i.
- i'd personally ditch the razer headset and kb, overpriced imo. You could get a cheaper mechanical kb for much less. AND you could get a better/cheaper digital 5.1 headset (tritton ax pro+)

HarryNZ

Thanks Tom,

-With the case, I can only get the haf 922 with the h100i with PCS so may have so stick with that unless spending more money.
-Got the silver for the extra 5'er.
-After reading around I'm leaning now towards Sli'ing so changed the mobo to ASUS® Z87-A and changed the PSU to the 850w Corsair.
-Changed the keyboard down to un-ultimate for pretty much half the price, probably look into getting a pair of headset. Have you heard bad thing about them? I've heard 7.1 sound for headsets are a bit of a gimmick.

Cheers for the suggestions mate,

Harry

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Overclocking won't benefit gaming for most games and with turbo boost it should go to around 3.8ghz, don't really see the point of overclocking to 4.0. There is no noticeable difference between 1600mhz and 2400mhz and I would suggest trying onboard audio before adding a sound card. £86 on a sound card is a lot unless you are planning to do some music production.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Would there be a massive difference between a £30 and £86 sound card with a headset?

lol, if you took out your soundcard you wouldn't get Dolby Digital 5.1 in games. It would be the same for the OP - if he was using a digital headset.

HarryNZ

I'm gonna stick with the soundcard which I'm willing to pay for it having the good pair headset with 5.1 or 7.1

-I did changed the ram to 1600ghz also thank you, would there be any other recommendations before purchasing? I'm open for any upgrades/downgrades or advise.

Cheers Keynes & Tom

D1craig

Enthusiast
I had a razer headset and it looked good and was comfortable but snapped very easily when I was adjusting it. They are only ezpensive because of the razer logo that ha an LED on the side of the ears.

Got a Bluetooth headset now. Comfiest one Ive had probably not as good doing quality though and battery last about 4-6 hours. Logitech and it was less than £40.

HarryNZ

Do you know any other headsets that would use the 7.1 surround sound jacks?

Good to know though, maybe look into investing into another pair.