Compatability Windows XP / Windows 7

davbul

Hi

I will shortly be purchasing a new PC with Windows 7. Could anyone tell me firstly, how I can transfer programs from my older PC with Windows XP across to my new PC and would there be compatability problems?
Secondly, am I able to run both PCs on one monitor (not at the same time of course) as at present my existing PC is using the monitor's PC socket and I am considering connecting to the new PC to the monitor via the DVI socket using a DVI cable.
My plan is to keep my older PC for general letter writing, finance, etc. and my new PC for Gaming.
Many thanks
David

Gorman

Author Level
The only way to transfer cleanly is to install the programs fresh. If there are any compatibility issues the software vendor should be able to give you details. Most problems can be worked around with XP mode in 7 pro and ultimate.

You can only connect one pc at once to the monitor unless you use a KVM switch, having both inputs plugged in even when one is off may cause issues.

Xavien

Enthusiast
tbh i dont really rate xp compatibility mode, ive only needed it for 3 things so far and none of them worked with it these were

nero 7 - the problem here was xp mode didnt recongise my cd rom, it just saw it as a generic cd rom drive and refused to work with it

daz 3d - the problem here was xp mode only had the option for 16bit colour and i needed 32 bit colour to run it

zen v mp3 tools - problem here was it didnt recongise my player even though everything was installed properly

Gorman

Author Level
It wont work with anything that requires root access to hardware (Nero etc) and that needs good graphics. I use it for a tonne of old programs without issue, including an old RGB TV input thing for recording off old cam corders / VHS etc.

Anything that needs root access to hardware should have an updated version that is 7 compatible.

Xavien

Enthusiast
The worst part about it is im trying to run daz 3d (32 bit) on win 7 pro 64 bit and its giving me real problems, it works for a short time then freezes gives me a blue screen and reboots the pc. Ive tried compatibility mode and that doesnt help, ok i hear you cry just buy the full version (not the free version cause you need to have the full version in order to use the 64 bit) and install the 64 bit version. Trouble is with that is i have a friend who is using the 32 bit program on win 7 64 bit home and he has no problems. So i dont want to spend $150 only to have the same problems.

My system is at least twice as powerful as his to, i just cant understand why its giving me so many problems.

davbul

Thank you Gorman for your helpful response!
I will have to think again - like convincing my wife I will need another monitor! (Bless her - she has already agreed on my having an "early Christmas present" of a new PC!). Then I will have to attempt to re-organise my set-up to fit the second monitor into a very tight space!
What is a KVM switch?
Thanks again for your help.

Last edited:

Gorman

Author Level
KVM switch is the old shool method of running lots of pc's off one monitor / keyboard / mouse

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KVM_switch

194049.jpg

Gorman

Author Level
The worst part about it is im trying to run daz 3d (32 bit) on win 7 pro 64 bit and its giving me real problems, it works for a short time then freezes gives me a blue screen and reboots the pc. Ive tried compatibility mode and that doesnt help, ok i hear you cry just buy the full version (not the free version cause you need to have the full version in order to use the 64 bit) and install the 64 bit version. Trouble is with that is i have a friend who is using the 32 bit program on win 7 64 bit home and he has no problems. So i dont want to spend $150 only to have the same problems.

My system is at least twice as powerful as his to, i just cant understand why its giving me so many problems.

Sounds odd, managed to capture the BSOD?

Xavien

Enthusiast
Unfortuantely the BSOD only flickers on and off before it breaks up and the pc reboots theres absoloutely no way of knowing what info is on it, ive been told that no way should daz 3d reboot my pc even if it crashes, i havent had a problem playing any of the latest games or running anything else, its very strange. Ive tried several instalations in different places, since im running a SSD and two velociraptors i just have a feeling that maybe my pc is running to fast for the programme and maybe its causing it to crash, really out of ideas