Components out of Stock

Tapner

I made an order on the 7th to make sure the computer was delivered in time for Christmas, but it's still in the pre-production stage after 8 working days. To be fair to PCS, I have been well informed via email with an ETA of when the missing components are due in stock, along with an apology for how long it's taking. However, delivery before Christmas now seems highly unlikely.

The components currently out of stock are as follows:

2TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD2002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
CORSAIR 650W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX650 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE - Stock is overdue since 25-11-2011

The Intel® Core™i5-2500k Quad Core (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache) + HD Graphics was also out of stock when I ordered, but arrived the following day.

I received an email today stating that the 2TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD2002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm) is now due in stock on Monday. However, I've heard nothing about the CORSAIR 650W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX650 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE

I must say, although PCS aren't fully responsible as they've placed orders with suppliers, I am disappointed after being guaranteed delivery by Christmas. I know there's still a week to go, but it still needs to be built, tested, inspected in quality control, dispatched and delivered at the busiest time of year.

Switching the PSU isn't an option as I'm not willing to spend any more money.

I realise that contacting PCS directly would be the best option, but as they are currently closed, hopefully someone in the know can give me some information.

Thanks.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
drop to the i5 2500 (non k version) only disadvantage is that you cant overclock easily

at £14 for a PSU upgrade, it might be worth it and may prove worthwhile in the long run if you plan to upgrade parts

Tapner

drop to the i5 2500 (non k version) only disadvantage is that you cant overclock easily

at £14 for a PSU upgrade, it might be worth it and may prove worthwhile in the long run if you plan to upgrade parts

The Intel® Core™i5-2500k Quad Core (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache) + HD Graphics was also out of stock when I ordered, but arrived the following day.

Perhaps the PSU upgrade is worth considering, but with standard delivery what are the chances of it being delivered before Christmas either way? If I contacted PCS on Monday about the PSU and they received the hard drive on the same day, building would commence Monday or Tuesday. However, with testing, quality control, dispatch and delivery to do by Saturday, that seems highly unlikely.

Thanks for your reply though. :)

Tapner

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the service I've received as the maximum standard build time hasn't yet been reached. I will reserve my judgement and review of PCS until after my computer has been delivered. I'm just asking a question about stock and being pessimistic about it being delivered in time for Christmas.

I'll probably contact PCS directly on Monday because this question is better suited in an email or phone call to their employees.

Sorry, I just wanted to make it clear that I'm not having a go at anyone.

Thanks. :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
if you ordered it before the deadline and all the parts are in stock, it will be here by christmas, PCS probably offer the saturday delivery free of charge, just to ensure christmas delivery, although im not sure

Tapner

Fair enough. Do you think it's worth giving them a call on Monday and asking about the PSU as that will be the only outstanding component preventing my order from being built? Then, depending on their response, I can ask about upgrading to the 750W version instead if that's in stock. As you said previously, that will help future proof my computer for any future upgrades.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
do it now, because i know that PCS are working throughout the night and weekends, so get it in for tomorrow morning, where they will probably work up til midday, then youve got all that time for your order to continue processing, so could be in building monday, QC tuesday, dispatch wednesday for delivery thursday/friday

Tapner

Upgrade it now? The thing is, I don't want to spend any more money than I have to. I know that £14 isn't much after buying a custom built gaming computer, but still. What if the 750W version is out of stock as well? Anyway, I'm still waiting for the hard drive to be delivered on Monday before it can be built. Do you know what time deliveries arrive?

Just so you know, I'm contemplating it.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
ok just checked and the 750w is also out of stock, although the 850w is in stock if you can afford that

i dont know what time PCS receive deliveries, probably in the morning but deliveries to you will be between 8am and 6pm and you will get a text shortly before giving you a 1hr slot when your package will be delivered

also PCS will usually build your PC and wait on the item thats missing, so with a hard drive, they can just put it in and go straight into testing

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Tapner what motherboard and gpu do you have? Im sure wozza has mentioned about adding another gpu for sli/crossfire

Ill put it a different way, i have a 750w psu, and should have got a 1000w psu for extra 580 in the future. I'm stuck now because if/when i want a extra 580 then i have to spend 150 plus on a new psu as well as 400+on 580. lol so if you think you may want to sli/crossfire in the future, its worth doing.

The whole argument spend money now to save money later :)

Tapner

ok just checked and the 750w is also out of stock, although the 850w is in stock if you can afford that

i dont know what time PCS receive deliveries, probably in the morning but deliveries to you will be between 8am and 6pm and you will get a text shortly before giving you a 1hr slot when your package will be delivered

also PCS will usually build your PC and wait on the item thats missing, so with a hard drive, they can just put it in and go straight into testing

Thanks for checking that for me. I'm glad I didn't upgrade.

My order is still in pre-production awaiting delivery of the PSU and hard drive. Does that mean it could have already been built without those two items even though the status hasn't changed?

The 850W is £27 more. I think I'll give them a call before making that upgrade.

Tapner what motherboard and gpu do you have? Im sure wozza has mentioned about adding another gpu for sli/crossfire

Ill put it a different way, i have a 750w psu, and should have got a 1000w psu for extra 580 in the future. I'm stuck now because if/when i want a extra 580 then i have to spend 150 plus on a new psu as well as 400+on 580. lol so if you think you may want to sli/crossfire in the future, its worth doing.

The whole argument spend money now to save money later :)

This is my spec:

Case
COOLERMASTER HAF 912 PLUS MID TOWER GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5-2500k Quad Core (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache) + HD Graphics
Motherboard
ASUS® P8Z68-V LX: USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, ATI®CrossFireX
Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)
Graphics Card
1.5GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 580 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
2TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD2002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
12x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW (£42)
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX650 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE (£72)
Processor Cooling
SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE INTEL CPU COOLER (£19)
Fan Controller
NZXT Sentry 2 Fan Controller with upto 5 Fitted Case Fans
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 10 to 12 working days

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
ok so like tom was suggesting, you need to spend money to save money

so upgrade the motherboard to the P8Z68-V board, and get the 850W PSU, this way you can add another beastly 580 in a couple of years without having to change anything

Tapner

That would be £1,294.00 which is £74 more. Honestly, that isn't an option. It isn't my money and my parents aren't that happy about upgrading to the 750W for £14 anyway unless it's absolutely necessary. It would be nice to add another 580 sometime in the future, so I'll have to do the relevant upgrades then. It's not that we can't afford it, it's the principle of getting a £1.2k Christmas present and then asking for £74 more.

I do appreciate you guys helping though. :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I have to agree with wozza here, i wish i went for a bigger psu.

tom, tbh i dont see what you personally are worrying about, i checked your system and PCS say 865w

(865/6)*5 = 720w

plus, your PSU is apparently designed to safely go well above its actualy output, although not recommended and not forever

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
That would be £1,294.00 which is £74 more. Honestly, that isn't an option. It isn't my money and my parents aren't that happy about upgrading to the 750W for £14 anyway unless it's absolutely necessary. It would be nice to add another 580 sometime in the future, so I'll have to do the relevant upgrades then. It's not that we can't afford it, it's the principle of getting a £1.2k Christmas present and then asking for £74 more.

I do appreciate you guys helping though. :)

drop the k version of the processor, drop the fan controller and drop the 1600MHz RAM, that should be enough, and you will get much more benefit from having the PSU and motherboard, over the CPU, fan controller and 1600MHz RAM

none of those will effect performance, but a second gfx card would

Tapner

tom, tbh i dont see what you personally are worrying about, i checked your system and PCS say 865w

(865/6)*5 = 720w

plus, your PSU is apparently designed to safely go well above its actualy output, although not recommended and not forever

My order page states that the maximum required power for my computer is 558W, so my 650W should be plenty. It's just the issue of it being out of stock and me worrying about the delivery not being here before Christmas.

I think ringing PCS on Monday and asking them is probably my best option.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
IS it? never heard that before

yeh cant remember where i read it, will have a look for it in the morning, and even without this, you should be fine, I even added the fan controller when i checked the wattage as that accounts for 5 extra fans

Tapner

drop the k version of the processor, drop the fan controller and drop the 1600MHz RAM, that should be enough, and you will get much more benefit from having the PSU and motherboard, over the CPU, fan controller and 1600MHz RAM

none of those will effect performance, but a second gfx card would

It's still £18 more. I agree with what you're saying, but I won't be adding another graphics card for at least 1-2 years. I'd rather have those components now and add the others later. Plus, I won't have spent £1200 1-2 weeks before I do those upgrades.

If the 650W isn't going to be in stock anytime soon when I call on Monday, I'll upgrade to the 750W, and if it's the same with the 750W, I'll choose the 850W. It'll be extravagant having that much power unused, but if the computer gets here quicker then I don't mind. Also, it'll save me upgrading the PSU at a later date.