Computer beeps 4-5 times (One long, three or four short), fails to boot

aaron2209

I bought this cutom PC two years ago and generally it has worked well, with some occassional graphics issues. Yesterday I was playing a game on it when it suddenly cut to a black screen and I was forced to do a manual restart. However, the computer, upon restarting, beeped four times, with one long beep and three short ones.

I looked into the matter and found on the internet that it involved an issue with my RAM, perhaps not being seated properly. I attempted to resolve the issue by re-seating the two memory sticks I have, and then swapping them into different slots, but to no avail. I then tried fitting in some other memory sticks from an older computer I have to see if there was any change, but that just made the matter worse as I don't think they could fit properly into this newer set up.

I have refitted the memory sticks to where they were, I now recieve FIVE beeps upon starting up the computer (one long, four short). I have been struggling to believe that my RAM really is the issue, only because I have never knowingly had problems with it, the graphics card however has given me a few headaches over the last couple of years. However, from the information I can gather from the internet, the beep code from the motehrboard refers to a RAM problem.

Here are my specs, I hope anyone can offer some insight into my situation. Thanks.

CPU: AMD BULLDOZER EIGHT CORE FX-8150 (3.60GHz/8MB CACHE/AM3+)
Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0 (DDR3, USB3.0, 6Gb/s)
RAM: 8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)
GPU: 3GB AMD RADEON HD7950 - DVI,HDMI,2 mDP - DX® 11, Eyefinity 4 Capable
SSD: 128GB KINGSTON V200 SSD, SATA 6 Gb (300MB/R, 190MB/W)
HDD: 1TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 32MB CACHE

T

TheGeeza

It could be a fault with only one of the sticks of ram.
Have you tried only seating 1 module of ram in the system at a time?

aaron2209

Thanks for reply, just tried one stick each at a time and got the same result (one long beep four short beeps each time).

PokerFace

Banned
Thanks for reply, just tried one stick each at a time and got the same result (one long beep four short beeps each time).

Did you just try each ram stick in the slot it came out of? If so, try it again with one stick in slot 'A', then the same stick in slot 'B', then do the same with the other ram stick.

If that doesn't work, do as vanthus said in post #3 and run memtest.