Computer NOT Over clocked

Zahchaz

Ordered a pc from the over locked intel bundle and configuration it to get:

I5 4670k (3.4GHz @ 4.2GHz max)
GTX 780Ti
Hyper Kingston ddr3 2400MHz

The CPU Is not OC
AND the ram is not running 2400MHz when that's what I've paid for.

I've checked on system properties and in the bios and they CPU is 3.4 NOT 4.2
I've paid £1400 for my rig and it's not what was advertised?

Please help. :/

Rakk

The Awesome
The CPU Is not OC

The CPU will only increase its speed when it is necessary, so when idle the PC will never show 4.2GHz as the speed - you need to use something CPU intensive to get it to use its overclocked speed.
The RAM speed will be correct it'll just be a setting somewhere which means its not running at full speed.

Zahchaz

Thanks for the reply, man!
Muchly appreciated! :)

Well. I did launch bf3 and still had no luck, put everything on ultra etc... :/

Rakk

The Awesome
Thanks for the reply, man!
Muchly appreciated! :)

Well. I did launch bf3 and still had no luck, put everything on ultra etc... :/

What are you using to see the CPU speed just out of curiosity? - I've no idea whether BF3 would even require it to overclock itself

mishra

Rising Star
1. Install software like CPU-Z ... check your CPU speed, it should say 3.4GHz.
2. Install Prime95, and run stress test.
3. Check settings on CPU-Z again.

a) If your CPU goes from 3.4GHz to 4.2GHz then it is overclocked.
b) If not, ring PCS in order to find out what's going on.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Games don't really utilise the benefits of overclocking so that's probably why you're not seeing any results.

Who told you that you needed to overclock? Is the rig primarily for gaming? You have probably wasted your money on unnecessary cooling and cpu power if it is.

I certainly don't think BF3 would utilise all of your CPU power anyway. It's a pretty old game now and is GPU intensive rather than CPU.

Random_Matt

Bronze Level Poster
Ordered a pc from the over locked intel bundle and configuration it to get:

I5 4670k (3.4GHz @ 4.2GHz max)
GTX 780Ti
Hyper Kingston ddr3 2400MHz

The CPU Is not OC

Please help. :/

Go into bios and look. A OC should be manual and not depend on running applications to enable it.

Rustilol

Bronze Level Poster
Hello

First off, download intel extreme tuning utility: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us...p-boards-software-extreme-tuning-utility.html
This will allow you to stress your cpu and it will show the speed of your processor. If it doesn't show 4.2 while its on stress test, then restart and go to bios. See if there is a saved profile with the over clock settings as it may have defaulted for some reason.
If there is no saved profile or preset then call whoever you purchased it from and they can talk you through setting it back up.

Kuniva

Silver Level Poster
The CPU will only increase its speed when it is necessary, so when idle the PC will never show 4.2GHz as the speed - you need to use something CPU intensive to get it to use its overclocked speed.
The RAM speed will be correct it'll just be a setting somewhere which means its not running at full speed.

That's Turbo Boost. The overclock should show in cpu-z. If it's not either send it back or make a claim for the difference. BTW system properties won't show it.

Last edited:

Kuniva

Silver Level Poster
Hello

First off, download intel extreme tuning utility: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us...p-boards-software-extreme-tuning-utility.html
This will allow you to stress your cpu and it will show the speed of your processor. If it doesn't show 4.2 while its on stress test, then restart and go to bios. See if there is a saved profile with the over clock settings as it may have defaulted for some reason.
If there is no saved profile or preset then call whoever you purchased it from and they can talk you through setting it back up.
That would be a long phone call.

steaky360

That's Turbo Boost. The overclock should show in cpu-z. If it's not either send it back or make a claim for the difference. BTW system properties won't show it.

That's both correct but misleading. The overclock will only show when the CPU is under load. It should not run at full OC speed all the time. Which is what Rakk was saying, you will need to basically make the CPU 'work' to get it to run at full speed.

Delinja

Bronze Level Poster
If a cpu normally runs at 2.8ghz and has a turbo to 3.5 for example, then it would always be running at 2.8 at the very least, no? Or do newer cpus underclock automatically when they are not under stress?

Rakk

The Awesome
If a cpu normally runs at 2.8ghz and has a turbo to 3.5 for example, then it would always be running at 2.8 at the very least, no? Or do newer cpus underclock automatically when they are not under stress?

Mine underclocks when it doesn't need the CPU power, mine is a i7-4770, its stated clock speed is 3.4, I've seen it often boost to 3.84 when I'm playing EQ2, but when I stop playing and close down that game, it drops down to less than a 1 in speed.

Kuniva

Silver Level Poster
That's both correct but misleading. The overclock will only show when the CPU is under load. It should not run at full OC speed all the time. Which is what Rakk was saying, you will need to basically make the CPU 'work' to get it to run at full speed.

Yes for Turbo Boost. But Turbo Boost is free. If I paid for my system to be overclocked I would like to think that it was a proper OC job and it would show the higher clock all the time in CPU-z no? Not really done an oc myself though since my amd x2 4200+ so I could be wrong.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Yes for Turbo Boost. But Turbo Boost is free. If I paid for my system to be overclocked I would like to think that it was a proper OC job and it would show the higher clock all the time in CPU-z.

Why would you need the OC on all the time? I believe you could achieve that fiddling with BIOS settings, I managed to do it but my cpu cooler was at full speed constantly and it generates more heat for unnecessary reasons.

Kuniva

Silver Level Poster
Why would you need the OC on all the time? I believe you could achieve that fiddling with BIOS settings, I managed to do it but my cpu cooler was at full speed constantly and it generates more heat for unnecessary reasons.

Because I would feel bumped for money if all they did was activate Turbo Boost XD

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Because I would feel bumped for money if all they did was activate Turbo Boost XD

I was referring to a pre-overclocked system, they run at a higher clock speed than turbo boost when necessary. They don't just enable turbo boost.

Kuniva

Silver Level Poster
I was referring to a pre-overclocked system, they run at a higher clock speed than turbo boost when necessary. They don't just enable turbo boost.

I thought an over clocked system would show in BIOS at that clock speed and would also show in CPU-z at that clock speed, guess I was wrong.