Computer turns on for 3-4 secs, then off, then on again but does not reach bios.

germor371

Hi,

I bought an i5 based system last October. It has been fine until today. I normally leave it on over night and it goes into sleep mode. This morning, I went to turn it on but all that happened was the lights came on and the fans spun up but no response from keyboard, mouse or monitor.

I switched the whole thing off and on again and on every attepmt the lights come on the fan spins up for 3-4 seconds then stops.... then spins up and stays on but no motherboard beep and no response from monitor etc.

I am not sure what could have happened, I am thinking PSU or motherboard maybe. I dont want to fiddle with it and invalidate warranty... any suggestions?

PokerFace

Banned
I think you might be right. Best to give PCS a ring asap. Phone when you are with the pc, as they might ask you to try a couple of things.

germor371

I'll give em a call tomorrow, I managed to narrow it down to the PSU. I plugged in another one from a different computer and it seemed to behave normally. Didn't remove the PSU from the second computer though and so didnt have time to do a full test.

Weird its failed after only 3 months - its a Corsair 650

PokerFace

Banned
From what I hear Corsair are usually pretty reliable, I guess you just got unlucky (someone has to be) :(

That's the problem with electricals, they can last years or just pack in at any time.

germor371

From browsing around the forums it seems like a common-ish problem.. There are a few instances of PSUs failing after a couple of months in a similar way and the Corsair name comes up a few times too.

When I bought the system, PCS's website told me that even a 650 was not necessary for my build but I was thinking future proofing :) I dont mind getting another though.