Confused about laptop for gaming/music production.

ljenk

hey, i dont know a great deal about laptops so feel free to point out stupidity but i am looking for one to play new games on eg; skyrim, deus ex 3- i know the specs haven't been released yet but im sure someone can give a good guess. I will also be using it for music production(largely software based): i will be running cubase 5, reason, fl studio... ideally i will be using an external soundcard: right now i have a m audio audiophile usb interface. obviously you cant futureproof any computers let alone laptops but i want to be able to run games in 2-3 years on low-medium settings.

Basically i want to know if this build would be sufficient? is it overkill? will games actually utilize the hardware? any help/suggestions would be much appreciated.
Heres the spec:

Chassis & Display
Enigma III 540: 15.6" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2630QM (2.00GHz) 6MB Cache

Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)

Graphics Card
nVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M - 2GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11

Memory - Hard Disk
500GB SERIAL ATA II 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (5,400rpm)

DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)

Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack

The things i have left out i have kept standard, and i already have an OS on disk.

£680 inc VAT and Delivery

Greenman

Enthusiast
Firstly, welcome to the forums.
What's your budget? Is the size of the laptop important to you in terms of mobility? (Could you have a 17" laptop for example)

The 540m is a good card http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-540M.41715.0.html but the Optimus range has the option of a 555m. The CPU is also excellent and should be future-proof for a good while.
Anyway, it's a good spec and should be fine unless you want to go for an Optimus for a better GPU.

ljenk

thanks for response, my budget is about £800 although could possibly go higher for a really good deal. I wouldn't have a problem with a 17" but i am now thinking the optimus ii 15" would be better- same spec but with the gt555m. Also i was wondering if i could upgrade the ram from 8gb in the future?

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
The maximum supported RAM on both the Enigma and Optimus II laptops is 8GB.

edh649

Make sure that the laptop has all the right ports for you. I am also a music person and I needed to buy a new soundcard because it turned out that my laptop (The enigma II) didn't have firewire!!

Apart from this, mine has been great apart from running abit too hot and being noisy,