Confused by DVD drive model numbers...

thegreb

Bronze Level Poster
So, I've decided my Skyfire DVD drive is past saving. I want to get another one, and thought it would be easy as I'd just search for SN-208BB and there it'd be for me to buy... Oh no, it isn't that easy. You see, my DVD drive is an SS-208BB/BEBE. The problem is, there's also an SN-208BB/SCFFZ, SN-208BB/ASBFZ, and SN-208BB/HPTHF to name just a few. With that in mind, would it really make a difference which one of these I purchased? They all look the same, but would there be compatibility issues if I didn't specifically go for and SN-208BB/BEBE? Oh, and would an SN-208FB fit/work?

Last edited:

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
It may well end up causing issues as those drives will probably have subtly different sizes, mounting hardware or some other minor but important limiting factors.

thegreb

Bronze Level Poster
I put the SN-208FB from my Vortex IV in my old Skyfire to see if it works, and it works perfectly. It reads audio and DVDs, and burns DVDs without any problem. I swapped over the little mounting bracket at the back, and the bezel at the front. It fits just as well as the old SN-208BB did.