Confusion over buying without an Operating System

Lathiel

I've checked several threads here on the PCS forums, and most users say that if you buy without an OS, you will need to do a full, clean install.

So I've prepared a USB stick with Win10, and I've got my license key from my previous laptop (which was OEM).

But the confusion is, now that I have my laptop in my hand, the desktop background added by PCS states that "if you have a product key for Windows 10, this can be used to activate this operating system". Also, in the PCS Welcome Booklet that came with it, it also states that you can simply activate the pre-installed OS, without the need to re-install.

So... what's the best advice here?

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Do a full re-install. It will be much cleaner and doesn't actually take that long. Then grab all the updates you can, install the graphics driver if it's from Nvidia, and you should be on your way.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
We've had people activate the test windows, but it's not fully configured, just uses generic drivers and as such will lead to instability and general bad behaviour.

It's always best to clean install if you haven't ordered windows.

Make sure you use the latest windows 10 image direct from microsoft, not an older one:

Lathiel

Thanks, yeah downloaded it from the MS website last night :)
PCS should probably update their advice then, to say something like "if you feel confident, we recommend a clean install."

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks, yeah downloaded it from the MS website last night :)
PCS should probably update their advice then, to say something like "if you feel confident, we recommend a clean install."
We have suggested that to them in the past.

TBH anyone buying without an OS must assume all responsibility for the suitability and stability of their chosen OS. For me, that would always mean "install it yourself".

I don't understand why anyone buying with no OS would choose to activate whatever OS just happens to be on there without knowing how it was installed and configured?