Connect USB-C monitor with USB 3 PC

Bp0416

Hi,

I have the Asus MB169C+ Portable Monitor which I use regularly with my MacBook. The power delivery also runs through the cable.

I have an windows laptop I want to connect to the monitor to. The laptop only has USB 3 ports. I tried a USB-C to USB-3 cable but whilst the monitor powered up, no picture appeared and windows told me the USB had malfunctioned.

I then purchased a USB-C to DVI connector cable to connect the monitor to a powered USB hub I have for the laptop. But the monitor wouldn't switch on - I assume that the cable didn't push any power through.

Does anybody know whether there is a solution to have the monitor work with the old laptop?

Thanks in advance.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
One of the user reviews on Amazon says:
Keep in mind if you intend to buy this though, there are some requirements on the host side that perhaps Asus should make more obvious. The MB169C+ receives a video signal via DisplayPort Alternate Mode on USB Type C Connector. This is one of the new features of the type c port, allowing alternate modes so that some of the pins can be used for alternate data protocols such as Displayport or Thunderbolt. It is not using the USB protocol for sending the video data to the screen, and as such pretty much precludes any type A port from working with it, even with a type A to type C cable, the type A port is completely incapable of transmitting displayport signals.

Another caveat that a type c port does not need to implement displayport alternate mode, strictly speaking the laptop manufacturer could just make it a plain old usb only port if they wanted to. So if your laptop has a type c port, don't assume that it will work, check that it is displayport capable as well. If the port is labelled as Thunderbolt 3 capable (like my XPS 15 is), it should work (as thunderbolt is basically pcie and displayport combined).

So I guess I'd ask if the Windows laptop's USB C port supports that

Bp0416

One of the user reviews on Amazon says:

So I guess I'd ask if the Windows laptop's USB C port supports that

Hi - thanks for responding. The laptop has a USB 3 port. I'm not too sure if it supports the above - it's a Lenovo ThinkPad T450.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I'm guessing it doesn't. I don't see anywhere listed that it does, either on the product sheet or the displayport website, and it is from a couple of years ago when that was still even newer.

You could ask on the Lenovo forums if anyone can confirm either way.

I'm not familiar with USB C DP mode alternate other than knowing it exists. Assuming the laptop doesn't have it, if nobody here or on Lenovo has any solutions you could ask on an Asus forum whether the monitor can be used with the laptop in some other way.

Bp0416

I'm guessing it doesn't. I don't see anywhere listed that it does, either on the product sheet or the displayport website, and it is from a couple of years ago when that was still even newer.

You could ask on the Lenovo forums if anyone can confirm either way.

I'm not familiar with USB C DP mode alternate other than knowing it exists. Assuming the laptop doesn't have it, if nobody here or on Lenovo has any solutions you could ask on an Asus forum whether the monitor can be used with the laptop in some other way.

Okay thanks I shall ask on Lenovo/says forums!!