Motherboard
ASUS® X79 DELUXE: INTEL® SOCKET LG2011, WIFI

1st Hard Disk
240GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s

2nd Hard Disk
3TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 64MB CACHE

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
15x BLU-RAY WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW

I'm trying to connect the following (old drives from now retired PC)
  • 128GB SSDNow V-Series SAT A2 2.5 and
  • DESKSTAR 7K2000 2TB SATA-II 3.5IN 7200RPM

Due to the the existing drive connections and the graphics card in the computer I have connected the 2 older drives via the Marvell SATA connectors (SATA6G_E3 and SATA6G_E4).

The drives do work and are visible within Windows

There are 2 points I'd like to try get some advice/help on:
  • In the BIOS the older drives do not show up as detected - am I able to do so and if so, what do I need to do to enable this?
  • Probably the main reason for writing this, these 2 older drives are showing as ejectable via the Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media taskbar icon - how do I prevent this as I don't want to (not a deal breaker, but I'm quite fussy and would like to try make sure I don't do something silly).

Many thanks

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
The BIOS not detecting them could mean they are listed under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers instead if they are older drives, if windows is finding them ok then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

the other thing about them being electable has cropped up a couple of times, I did some research into it and apparently its just the way windows does things, you can fiddle the registry to make them not show up but its not worth the bother in all honesty.

movdb75

Thanks mantadog

Yes - the drives are appearing elsewhere in the BIOS :)

I'll look into the registry options when I get a minute - but thanks for the tip.

Cheers

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Glad to be of assistance, just be careful when fiddling the registry it can get messy quickly.

As far as im aware if you try to eject them nothing happens anyway, so I would just leave them be.