Connecting PC to TV+PC monitor

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
I have a few questions on the topic in the title.
I just got a 5m HDMI cable to connect my PC to my 32" LG TV for watching films from my pc on my tv etc etc.

1) Is it ok to leave the HD cable plugged into the TV (from the GPU) all the time, and simply change the displays when i want to show my desktop on the TV?

2) If i do the above, does it matter if the TV is left on or off? As in, say i have the HD cable plugged in but am currently playing the PS3 on the tv, will the pc being plugged into the TV have any affect on either PC or TV/PS3? Also when the tv is off will having the PC plugged into it have any affect on the running of the pc?

3) My setup is i5 3550, gtx570, 8gb ram. Obviously im using two monitors if i hook up the tv, will my system be able to cope with this? In terms of: a) just outputting via the TV (films). b) putting film on TV whilst browsing on pc monitor. c) gaming on PC monitor and having internet open on tv?

Sorry for the slightly confusing way of putting the question, but i hope you can understand what im getting at?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
1) it should not be a problem but I am not sure if it could affect temperatures on your GPU even if the monitor is off. Best way is to try and compare temps with and without the cable connected to the GPU
2) It shouldn't have any effect, I do something similar with my setup however if not using the TV you need to change from multiple displays to only 1 display in the Nvidia control panel
3) I don't see why not, the GTX 570 should be able to cope with 2 screens.

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
I assume the monitor is connected with a dvi cable and the tv with an hdmi cable

Yep DVI to monitor, and HD to tv.

2) It shouldn't have any effect, I do something similar with my setup however if not using the TV you need to change from multiple displays to only 1 display in the Nvidia control panel

Is it fine to change the displays via right-clicking on desktop and going screen resolution?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Yep DVI to monitor, and HD to tv.

Is it fine to change the displays via right-clicking on desktop and going screen resolution?

I usually use Nvidia control to switch from 1 screen to 2 screens. You should also be able to do the same with screen resolution but I find nvidia control panel easier to use.