Connecting SLI, Does this sound right?

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Hey guys, just wanting to make sure this sounds correct.

I ordered my PC with "I have my own graphics card" so it looks like the cables are coming from my Modular PSU which are labeled Type 3 at the PSU side so PSI-E or something on the other side to plug into the GPU whether it 6/8 pin or what ever.

What i have done for SLI is connected an identical cable into the next available port in the PSU, in the same line as the existing cable and pulled it through to the same place.

Does that sound correct?

Then i plug in each GPU to the Mobo, connect the cables from the PSU, attached the cable with the SLI strip provided with the Mobo.

Is it that simple? Is it best to get one card working first or just go for the SLI of the bat?

I;ve read the manuals etc but theres so many variables.

Any comments appreciated.

Mike

steaky360

Personally I'd try each card individually to ensure they work before putting them in SLi.
As for the cables / etc. sounds about right, you need to ensure both cards are fully powered :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hey guys, just wanting to make sure this sounds correct.

I ordered my PC with "I have my own graphics card" so it looks like the cables are coming from my Modular PSU which are labeled Type 3 at the PSU side so PSI-E or something on the other side to plug into the GPU whether it 6/8 pin or what ever.

What i have done for SLI is connected an identical cable into the next available port in the PSU, in the same line as the existing cable and pulled it through to the same place.

Does that sound correct?

Then i plug in each GPU to the Mobo, connect the cables from the PSU, attached the cable with the SLI strip provided with the Mobo.

Is it that simple? Is it best to get one card working first or just go for the SLI of the bat?

I;ve read the manuals etc but theres so many variables.

Any comments appreciated.

Mike

Hi Mike, not sure how your psu is, but my modular PSU has dedicated ports for the PCI-E Graphics which are actually coloured differently.

Other than that, yeah, exactly how you said. I'd go for SLI straight out the box, it's pretty straightforward, especially with nVidia

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Thanks guys, just picked up the cards from my local friendly DPD, now just got this annoying thing called work to get through... there sitting there... calling me :)

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Hmm, think it might be struggling with the width of the cards, nothing a power tool cant sort out.

DSC_0074.jpg

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I'd personally, install the both of the new cards first. The top card, then the screws. Then the second card and the screws. Then I'd plan and route my pcie cables, as you will then be able to decide the tidiest/cleanest route for said cables. If that makes sense?

Do a final check of the connections, boot up, install the latest drivers and enable SLI in the nvidia control panel. - fyi, everytime you update/install new drivers you need to enable sli in Nvidia Control panel. - Nvidia Control Panel, 3d settings, configure SLI, Surround, Physx, and then select Maximise 3d Performance.

I'd then use a temp program, msi afterburner/evga precision (or whatever) to observe the fan speeds/temps. See how they settle mate. You could then set up a fan profile. My cards are very quiet, so i run the fans a bit faster so the temps are a little cooler. You may also find that one card runs a bit cooler (usually the bottom card) but also one cards fans my run a bit faster or slower than the other. This is relatively normal btw.

Last edited:

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Hey guys, just thought i'd let you all know i got my cards working and its awesome.

Ran Borderlands 2 for about an hour full settings getting a great framerate at 1080 and ultraist settings i could get, im just blown away by it coming from a laptop.

Battlefield 4, Tomb Raider anything its unstoppable i cant express how happy i am with it.

The only game that did cause problems is Assassin's Creed Black Flag, it is not its friend at all, frame rate drops all the time, it's locked at 60 fps too by Ubi so i guess that wont help. Might need to mess about with that one. A lot of people are complaining about it in the forums so maybe its not SLI friendly

Its weird though becuase all the props Nvidia give it on its website make it sound like it will run like a dream and that it has SLI support.

http://www.geforce.co.uk/games-appl...assins-creed-4-black-flag/system-requirements

Thanks again for the support guys.

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
Hang on... you can't create a username like SmokeDarKnight and then sign off a post with 'Mike'.

That would be like Batman introducing himself as Clarence.

You're not allowed real life names in here, online fantasty personas only! :taz:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I'd guess the AC issue is likely due to the game being a rubbish console port or the game doesnt like SLI. There are still quite a few games that don't support SLI fully or have driver issues.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
I'd guess the AC issue is likely due to the game being a rubbish console port or the game doesnt like SLI. There are still quite a few games that don't support SLI fully or have driver issues.

Yeah might try it in single card mode and see if it runs any smoother, might put one card in Physix mode and try that out.

Its actually a lot of funn messing about with the SLI.

Hope its all good for Assassins Creed Unity though, thats my gaming want of the year.

Might look into getting a better looking SLI cable as the Asus one is brown and looks a bit grim against the red of the GPUs

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yeah might try it in single card mode and see if it runs any smoother, might put one card in Physix mode and try that out.

Its actually a lot of funn messing about with the SLI.

Hope its all good for Assassins Creed Unity though, thats my gaming want of the year.

Might look into getting a better looking SLI cable as the Asus one is brown and looks a bit grim against the red of the GPUs

EVGA do a pretty rocking one! Pretty expensive, but that doesn't seem to be too much of a concern to you over looks (best way)

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=100-2W-0021-LR