Connection problems with new PCS pc

Mark0

Hi I wonder if anyone can help , I have a new pc from PCS and since ive had it my 60 meg Virgin cable connection has been terribly slow. Now at first I thought it was Virgin who sent round some engineers, they couldn't work out why it was slow and said my line was perfectly good. As a last measure one of the guys (I think he did this) disabled and then re enabled something , im guessing it was maybe my network adapter. They tested my connection and it went it shot up to 62 meg !. Thinking all was sorted they left and I was all happy until I rebooted my pc and now im back down to a slow 1-2 meg. Im guessing something needs doing/altering on the network card but im afraid to mess about in case I mess it up, any advice would be really welcome. My motherboard incidentaly is the ASUS® P8Z77-V

Much appreciated any help given

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Should of got homeplugs

Not massively helpful now is it :)

You are likely right Mark about settings, and someone may have a solution, but short of that giving PCS a call is a good option (especially as you have already had an engineer round to look at the actual connection itself :) )

Buzz

Master
Should of got homeplugs
Lmao.

What network card are you using?

Can you click start, control panel, System, Device manager

Look for Network Adapters, and then your network adapter you are using. If you can post the exact model that would be great.

Also while there select your network card, right click it and select properties. Select the advanced Tab. Have a look in the list for speed and Duplex. Make sure it is set to 1Gbps Full Duplex. Apply,ok, restart your comp and do a speed test here

speedtest and post Ping ~ Download ~ Upload results please.

Last edited:

Mark0

Should of got homeplugs

Wow thx , its hardwired anyway

The network card is the onboard card of the mobo its a Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection, its set to auto negotiation and a green light is showing next to speed saying 1Gbps Full Duplex

1958085271.png

Last edited:

Buzz

Master
Wow thx , its hardwired anyway

The network card is the onboard card of the mobo its a Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection, its set to auto negotiation and a green light is showing next to speed saying 1Gbps Full Duplex

View attachment 1462

And did you try setting it to 1gbps full duplex yourself rather then the manual settings.

What version of windows are you running?

What I would try is remove the network card from device manager, right clicking the adapter and remove. Then scan system with the Intel auto update prog Auto Update

And update the card, then set it to 1gbps full duplex and see if it helps.

Last edited:

Mark0

Thanks Buzz I did try all of that but to no avail , BUT !!!! ... I thought I would scratch about and try a few other things, I went into Asus Probe and disabled Network iControl and boom my connections gone from 2 to 50 meg again, rebooted my pc and its all still working good. I have to be completely honest im not sure what ive done exactly but its worked. Thank you for your help though its much appreciated.

1958241717.png

Last edited:

Buzz

Master
Thanks Buzz I did try all of that but to no avail , BUT !!!! ... I thought I would scratch about and try a few other things, I went into Asus Probe and disabled Network iControl and boom my connections gone from 2 to 50 meg again, rebooted my pc and its all still working good. I have to be completely honest im not sure what ive done exactly but its worked. Thank you for your help though its much appreciated.

View attachment 1464

Thats great mate. Delighted ya have it sorted. I dont have that feature in Probe II for my motherboard. Cheers for letting us know your solution.

Edit:
Just read up on it

Network iControl
Real-time Network Bandwidth Control
With a single-click on/off button, the application currently in use has its data and network bandwidth prioritized over other programs. Moreover, you can prioritize your favorite software easily by configuring profiles through the intuitive user interface. Within the profile, programs can be pre-scheduled to run in a specific time period to avoid network congestion and long-waits on downloads. Auto PPPoE network connection provides a one-step setup for enhanced online convenience. Overall, it's an intuitive network bandwidth control center.