Considering a gaming laptop build

Kai121

Bronze Level Poster
I have been looking to purchase a good gaming laptop with some "oomph" so to speak and have a budget of around £2k, as such I have been looking at the Viper II case (Mainly due to it's screen size), as such this is the build I have come up with and am just loooking for constructive criticism:

Chassis & Display
Viper III: 18.4" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2760QM (2.40GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
12GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (3 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
2 x 1.5GB nVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 560M - DirectX® 11 (SLI)
Memory - Hard Disk
120GB KINGSTON HYPERX SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 555MB/sR | 510MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk
1TB WD SCORPIO BLUE WD10JPVT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 8MB CACHE (5400 rpm)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
SONY BD-5730S 6x BLURAY WRITER & CYBERLINK SOFTWARE (£79)
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC COOLING MX-3 HIGH THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card
Intel 5.1 Channel High Definition Audio + SPDIF/MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ 1102 WIRELESS GAMING 802.11N NETWORK CARD
USB Options
2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 3 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD

For the processor I cannot really justify the extra £120 on the 2860QM for what is going to be in reality maybe a 10% performance boost and im not even going to look at going for the Core I7 extreme option (Lets be sensible here :p)

RAM Im going for the 12GB 1333Mhz instead of the 8GB 1600Mhz as the performance boost between 8GB 1333Mhz and 8GB 1600Mhz is only around 5% in benchmark tests, plus going for the 12GB gives me more actual ram.

Graphics wise I would prefer a 580M but I can settle on the 560M SLI, as their is only a 3% or 4% difference AND the 560M in SLI provides me with more CUDE cores than the 580 standalone (People always seem to miss that one)

Hard drive wise im going for the 120GB solid state for windows, Anti-virus ect...Basically looking to cut down my PC loadup and startup time and then the 1TB secondary drive for games, movies, songs.

Blu-Ray Drive for watching Blu-Ray DVD's and the backward compatibility with DVD's, gives me all my eggs in one basket.

Arctic cooling because, letsface it, this rig is going to generate a fair bit of heat, ill end up ordering a laptop cooling stand for when im pushing it to the limit.

And the Gigabit Lan Killer card because a few of my mates are drooling over it and considering the upgrade but want to see how it campres to their current card before they go for it.

In the end what I am looking for is any suggested changes ect...that people can think of to either make it faster or better optomise the laptop.

Regards
Jonesey

InfernalBadger

Bronze Level Poster
The only thing that doesn't look right is the 5400rpm hard drive. I would change that to a 7200rpm one, especially if you'll be running games from it.

Other than that, it looks like a good spec :D

Kai121

Bronze Level Poster
I am trying to decide between the 1TB 5400rpm and the 500GB 7200 rpm, it basically comes down to space or speed XD

Tehmoe

Gold Level Poster
You really have no need for 12gb ram, 8gb is overkill unless your doing some crazy video editing. Apart from that it looks great man :D

Kai121

Bronze Level Poster
Tehmoe, while I agree 12GB is quite excessive, for the difference in price it is a "why not", plus it is more a futureproof thing aswell :)

Tehmoe

Gold Level Poster
Tehmoe, while I agree 12GB is quite excessive, for the difference in price it is a "why not", plus it is more a futureproof thing aswell :)

12GB doesnt run in dual channel so for now unless you actual using all 12GB I think you might see a drop, Also right now games dont even use 4gb so it will be a very long time before you need need 8gb :D.

Kai121

Bronze Level Poster
One thing I am curiouse about though, is their any specific reason why the 580M is not included as an option with this lappy? While the 560M SLI does give a 14% performance boost over the 580M it does tend to suffer from micro stuttering when the FPS hits 30 or below!