Constant BSoD on new build? Help needed

Harby

Brand new computer turned up yesterday afternoon. Plugged in and turned on for the first time at around 9pm last night.

After turning on, I had the following error codes:
UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER
KERNEL_THREAD_PRIORITY_FLOOR_VIOLATION
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (What Failed: FLTMGR.SYS)
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

I also had numerous crashed in-between that didn't provide an error code, it just restarted the computer entirely.

I haven't installed anything (as simply haven't been able to get to a point where I'd be able to).
The only things plugged in are the mouse and keyboard purchased with the order (ASUS TUF K1 Gaming Keyboard & M3 Mouse Bundle), and my monitor (AOC 12369V).
Each of these error codes happened within minutes of turning on. Every time an error occurred, the computer restarted itself, and took itself back around to the initial load screen, and turned on as if nothing was wrong. And then within 2-5 minutes, the next error occurred (the 5 error codes listed above are listed in the order they happened).

Anyone know of a possible work around?

For info, the build is as follows:
CaseNZXT H511 MID-TOWER GAMING CASE (WHITE)
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core CPU (3.6GHz-4.2GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
MotherboardASUS® PRIME B450-PLUS (DDR4, USB 3.1, 6Gb/s) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1650 SUPER - HDMI
1st Storage Drive512GB PCS 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (520MB/R, 450MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
Power SupplyCORSAIR 350W VS SERIES™ VS-350 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingSTANDARD AMD CPU COOLER
Thermal PasteARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired NetworkingWIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating SystemWindows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence
Operating System LanguageUnited Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery MediaWindows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office SoftwareFREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-VirusBullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
BrowserMicrosoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Keyboard & MouseASUS TUF K1 Gaming Keyboard & M3 Mouse Bundle
SpeakersLOGITECH Z200 2.0 SPEAKERS - 10W

Last edited:

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Take the side off the case and make sure all the RAM and graphic cards are plugged in properly (take them out & click them back into place), things can come lose in transit

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
In addition to the above good advice about popping the RAM and graphics cards out and in, also ensure that your SSD is properly connected - pop the plug on that and put it back. Also check all connectors, especially the ones going to the motherboard - stuff does sometimes come loose in transit.

Fltmgr.sys is the Windows file system filter manager, this interfaces with any device driver wanting to access your SSD (or an external drive). It's inconceivable that there is a problem with fltmgr.sys itself (we'd all know if there was!), it's much more likely to be either a hardware issue or a driver issue.

If you've had so many BSODs before you've even managed to run through the initial Windows setup then that setup routine will be screwed and your only real alternative is a clean install. You don't have a DVD drive so you probably can't boot the installation DVD that PCS supplied, so on another PC download the Windows Media Creation Tool and use that to make a bootable USB stick with the Windows installation files on.

Boot that USB stick on your PC and choose a custom install. Delete all partitions on that SSD so that all the space shows as 'unallocated space'. Highlight that unallocated space and click the Next button, the installer will create the correct partition structure and install Windows. Once you've run through the initial setup run Windows Update again and again until no more updates are found - even across reboots. This will install all necessary updates and all your drivers. Note that you don't need to enter a product key, Windows will activate based on a code that PCS installed to indicate you bought a Windows license with the PC.

If you get any BSODs either during that installation process or afterwards then it's a hardware issue I'm afraid.

Harby

In addition to the above good advice about popping the RAM and graphics cards out and in, also ensure that your SSD is properly connected - pop the plug on that and put it back. Also check all connectors, especially the ones going to the motherboard - stuff does sometimes come loose in transit.

Fltmgr.sys is the Windows file system filter manager, this interfaces with any device driver wanting to access your SSD (or an external drive). It's inconceivable that there is a problem with fltmgr.sys itself (we'd all know if there was!), it's much more likely to be either a hardware issue or a driver issue.

If you've had so many BSODs before you've even managed to run through the initial Windows setup then that setup routine will be screwed and your only real alternative is a clean install. You don't have a DVD drive so you probably can't boot the installation DVD that PCS supplied, so on another PC download the Windows Media Creation Tool and use that to make a bootable USB stick with the Windows installation files on.

Boot that USB stick on your PC and choose a custom install. Delete all partitions on that SSD so that all the space shows as 'unallocated space'. Highlight that unallocated space and click the Next button, the installer will create the correct partition structure and install Windows. Once you've run through the initial setup run Windows Update again and again until no more updates are found - even across reboots. This will install all necessary updates and all your drivers. Note that you don't need to enter a product key, Windows will activate based on a code that PCS installed to indicate you bought a Windows license with the PC.

If you get any BSODs either during that installation process or afterwards then it's a hardware issue I'm afraid.

It would appear to be a hardware issue. Have tried all of the above to no avail. Waiting on a response from PCS themselves about what to do next :(

Additionally, windows was already pre-installed by PCS prior to me receiving. Very much a 'plug in and play' type PC

Harby

Oh that's a shame. Do let us know how things go.

I think it's a driver problem, but I can't get to the screen where I can check this anymore. When hitting the windows, I can no longer physically search for anything, which is odd. The reason I think it's drivers, is since tweaking a few bits myself, I'm now getting 2 constant errors
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (What fails: tcpip.sys)
KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE

Still no work from PCS either. Called them yesterday twice, but due to the time I finish work it makes it very difficult to contact over the phone, and emailing them has proven... difficult.

I have a horrible feeling I'll have to send back and get them to re-test it all :(

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Can you start it up in safe mode, if so you might be able to see in device manager if anything has an ! by it

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I think it's a driver problem, but I can't get to the screen where I can check this anymore. When hitting the windows, I can no longer physically search for anything, which is odd. The reason I think it's drivers, is since tweaking a few bits myself, I'm now getting 2 constant errors
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (What fails: tcpip.sys)
KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE

Still no work from PCS either. Called them yesterday twice, but due to the time I finish work it makes it very difficult to contact over the phone, and emailing them has proven... difficult.

I have a horrible feeling I'll have to send back and get them to re-test it all :(
Boot Windows installation media, that's a completely stand alone system (it uses the WinRT Windows system). You'll need to do that anyway now I suspect because you've not completed the initial setup routine on switch on (I think?) in which case you really must reinstall Windows - there's no other way to recover from a glitch in that OOBE setup.

If you get no BSODs whilst running the installation system then that suggests it might not be hardware. Install Windows as I've suggested above and then test again.

You really MUST install a new copy of Windows because you currently have no idea what state that initial system is in, consequently you can't do any useful troubleshooting on it. :)

Harby

Boot Windows installation media, that's a completely stand alone system (it uses the WinRT Windows system). You'll need to do that anyway now I suspect because you've not completed the initial setup routine on switch on (I think?) in which case you really must reinstall Windows - there's no other way to recover from a glitch in that OOBE setup.

If you get no BSODs whilst running the installation system then that suggests it might not be hardware. Install Windows as I've suggested above and then test again.

You really MUST install a new copy of Windows because you currently have no idea what state that initial system is in, consequently you can't do any useful troubleshooting on it. :)

I did that first. nd since then still getting error codes. Just waiting on a response from PCS as I feel I'll need to send the whole thing back as I can't even turn the computer on and get to a point where I can do anything before getting a BSoD with a variant of one of the above error codes.
I'm sure it'll be fixed eventually as I doubt PCS would leave a customer with a duff unit. It's just the waiting part that's frustrating is all. Will try and keep y'all updated with any forward steps :).
Thanks for your help U