Cooling for i7-3820 Photo-editing rig?

blapig

Hello Everyone,

I am currently in the process of speccing out an i7-3820 based rig primarily for Photoshop. I am a hobbyist, learning the 3D elements of Photoshop, and want to build as "futureproof" a rig as possible.

Now, I understand that we all fall over laughing at the mere mention of the "F" word, but you will understand that I am quite happy to spend the money on a rig now in the hope that it will last as long as possible!!!

My budget is currently overspent at £1500 haha, but I digress.

Basically, as the processor will be getting fairly stressed, but NOT overclocked, it will require some decent cooling. I don't want to overspec the cooling insomuch that the processor runs ice cold, but there s a small hurricane gathering force inside my PC.

I have done some research all over the web etc., could someone please tell me more about hte "Intel Certified" coolers that PCS offer? Budget isn't that huge a constraint, but it's getting close!!

Or is there a another option I should consider?

Ta muchly :D

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I'd consider tje i7-3770 rather than the i7-3820, from looking at benchmarks it seems it performs better in photoshop. I don't think you need a liquid cooler if you are not intending to overclock your cpu, even if you are running cpu intensive applications I would think the triple copper heatpipe cpu cooler will handle it well.

blapig

To be honest, I was choosing the i7-3820 with 8x4Gb (=32Gb) RAM to take advantage of the quad-channel RAM and also the larger number of PCI lanes. There is every possibility this machine will develop into something more CAD oriented, so it's be nice to be able to take advantage of any new graphics or GPGPU or OpenCL possibilities may open up, especially that CS6 is heading towards to open source OpenCL in it's desire to remain hardware neutral.

It is for this reason that I have chosen the CPU - i.e. I like the sound of the x79 chipset and mobo architecture. Do you have a link for the Photoshop benchmarks you refer to? I have seen a few and there doesn't seem much in the CPU's per se.

Is my logic good, or am I overthinking things? I don't think the x79 chipset is that much more expensive as a platform that I could drop a level on that, and use the funds towards a larger SSD or a second SSD as scratch space?

Oh yeah, as we're in the cooler section: Will the triple copper heatpipe be the quieter of the two solutions? Haha.

Thanks!!