Cooling solution for Ryzen 5950x

Mitrich

Bronze Level Poster
Hi I'm ordering a CPU for editing and workstation tasks, decided for the monster Ryzen 5950x, and now I am a bit confused if Corsair h115i platinum is good enough to keep this CPU cool under a reasonable load. I couldn't find any better offer from PCS regarding liquid cooling. Would be grateful for a little help here. Thanks.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Rather than advising on individual components, if you post the full specs then we can advise as they all inter-relate.

Mitrich

Bronze Level Poster
Sure, here we go, I hope that will be sufficient, thanks:

Case
CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 500D SE CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16 Core CPU (3.4GHz-4.9GHz/72MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (4 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
10GB ASUS ROG STRIX GEFORCE RTX 3080 - HDMI, DP (Xmas delivery not guaranteed)
1st Storage Drive
1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA 120 2.5" SSD, (up to 560MB/sR | 540MB/sW)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 7000MB/R, 5000MB/W)
External DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
6x Slim USB 2.0 External Blu-Ray Writer
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H115i PRO Cooler w/ PCS Ultra Quiet Fans
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Extra Case Fans
1x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It's almost perfect. I might suggest a couple of adjustments:

Drives. You'll want a small maybe 250Gb SATA SSD as a scratch drive. Then you've got a large 1TB SSD, what's that for? It's not a good idea to configure an SSD as a data drive as they fail catastrophically without warning, an HDD would always be better for general storage. If it's for project files or something, then that makes more sense.

You're right, you want the H115i Platinum on that processor, should be fine for it. 280mm is really required for 16 cores.

But otherwise it's spot on.

Mitrich

Bronze Level Poster
It's almost perfect. I might suggest a couple of adjustments:

Drives. You'll want a small maybe 250Gb SATA SSD as a scratch drive. Then you've got a large 1TB SSD, what's that for? It's not a good idea to configure an SSD as a data drive as they fail catastrophically without warning, an HDD would always be better for general storage. If it's for project files or something, then that makes more sense.

You're right, you want the H115i Platinum on that processor, should be fine for it. 280mm is really required for 16 cores.

But otherwise it's spot on.
Hi, that was a super fast response, thanks. As a photographer and editor, what was mostly my biggest concern on my previous pc is the data transfer, my HDD was extremely slow and as a gamer I have been told that PCIE gen 4 drives going to be crucial in the upcoming generation of software.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi, that was a super fast response, thanks. As a photographer and editor, what was mostly my biggest concern on my previous pc is the data transfer, my HDD was extremely slow and as a gamer I have been told that PCIE gen 4 drives going to be crucial in the upcoming generation of software.
Yeah, I'd definitely leave the NVME M2 drive as the main drive, then if you want a dedicated games drive I'd go for a second NVME M2. Then a small SATA 250Gb SSD for scratch drive, then a huge data 7200RPM HDD drive (depending on your size needs on what you're storing).

That would be the ideal setup for me if I was doing that kind of work.

SSD as storage is just risky, the chance of all out failure and losing your data is infinitely higher than on an HDD which degrades bit by bit over time.

Mitrich

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah, I'd definitely leave the NVME M2 drive as the main drive, then if you want a dedicated games drive I'd go for a second NVME M2. Then a small SATA 250Gb SSD for scratch drive, then a huge data 7200RPM HDD drive (depending on your size needs on what you're storing).

That would be the ideal setup for me if I was doing that kind of work.

SSD as storage is just risky, the chance of all out failure and losing your data is infinitely higher than on an HDD which degrades bit by bit over time.
Placed the order just now, adjusted to your suggestions, thank you very much, I wasn't aware that SSD can be so risky as a storage devices, I would go crazy if I had lost my work this way. Thanks again, can't wait for my big baby, although because of the current situation I might prepare myself for a long wait.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Placed the order just now, adjusted to your suggestions, thank you very much, I wasn't aware that SSD can be so risky as a storage devices, I would go crazy if I had lost my work this way. Thanks again, can't wait for my big baby, although because of the current situation I might prepare myself for a long wait.
Fingers crossed they start getting through some 3080's quicker, I think it's gotta be past the worst part by now.

It will still be a wait, but a very nice investment, it's a cracking build (y)